Need help on buying a 32 duce coupe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 11:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need help on buying a 32 duce coupe

I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice on buying a 32 ford 3 window duce coupe body. I found some places online but I would like to order one from a well known reputable company that I can later buy the frame and other parts from, also what do i look for when buying. I'm looking to build a custom hot rod not stock. Any info on this would be appreciated and any links would be great. Thanks,

ADAM.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2010, 07:54 AM
boatbob2

duece......

Hi,there are a number of reputable body manufacturers out there,I would GO to their shop,and actually see what im buying. dont buy BY PRICE ALONE,look for the reinforcements,buy one with doors,windows and trunk lid INSTALLED,will be much easier on you...make SURE the body will actually fit the chassis,AMERICAN STAMPING makes the frame rails,i THINK speedway sells A.S. rails also, IF you can fabricate,building the chassis yourself (with the A.S. rails) will save you A TON OF MONEY.......
Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

First of ALL ... you need to learn out to spell DEUCE

As a Moderator here, I would like to WELCOME you to Hotrodders.com

As the owner of two Deuces ... I would like to give you a little advice on Deuce coupe bodies.

Both of mine are Henry Ford built Deuces ... but I like most of the reproduction bodies. I strongly suggest to buy your chassis ( frame ) before you buy your reproduction body.

Then you can sit the new body on the frame when you get the body. Fiberglass bodies will move around and get out of shape when sitting unsupported for long periods of time. Some fiberglass body makers will build the body on your chassis ( way better fit ).

Second ... what style of 32 coupe are you looking to buy ?
There are 32 3W chopped coupes ( like the blue one ) and there are three window coupes ( like the RED one ). NOT chopped ...

Some come chopped and some come in the original height. Most have filled roofs and no cowl vents

Brookville Roadster makes a 32 3W in steel

And WESCOTT makes the BEST 32 3W body ( IMHO )
Go here to see it

http://www.wescottsauto.com/Body/bod...indowCoupe.pdf

You can go here to see a journal on the construction of my 32 3W coupe.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ge=1&reverse=1
Again ... WELCOME here

DEUCE Moderator

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 10-02-2010, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I would like a chopped top 3 window without the hood, fenders or running boards. DEUCE you answered my other question about buying the frame or body first. What about fiberglass opposed to a steal body ? Thanks. Oh! thanks for the spell check DEUCE I missed an E
Old 10-02-2010, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

You can buy the Brookville STEEL bodied '32 3-window for around $25,000...thats JUST the body. Or you can buy a nice glass body from Wescott...$19,000 last time I looked, Redneck...$12,000, or you can look at N&N fiberglass '32, for $6500.....very, very nice body and they are nice folks that will work with you. PM me I have some more info on them if you want to save some $$$$.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bb396
What about fiberglass opposed to a steal body ? Thanks.
Because you want a chopped top ... you will most likely be buying a fiberglass body.

The Brookville metal 32 3W only comes in the original, non chopped version. Walden's Speed Shop in California builds chopped 32 3W coupe bodies using Brookville steel parts and pieces but they are around 35 grand ( body only ). I have a friend who has one and it it NICE but for 35 grand ... it should be.

Go here for Waldens Speed Shop web page http://www.waldenspeedshop.com/brookville.html#

Just be careful when shopping for a fiberglass reproduction body.
There are some real junk ones available. All of the fiberglass ones I have seen have a filled roof ( Henry's was not filled ).

Also ... YOU NEED TO KNOW the features and items YOU DESIRE in a body. Some have a glued in windshield. which just screams cheap FIBERGLASS REPRO to me.

A lot of them do not have the cowl vent or the original style door hinges. Some have the weird Chevrolet style rear window shape ( the company also makes Chevrolet coupes and they were too lazy/cheap to make a mold for the correct shape 32 Ford 3W rear window. A fair number of them do not have the little recess in the lower rear panel for the fuel neck ( Henry's does )

Some have a flat ... firewall ... which screams FIBERGLASS

Some of these things really BOTHER some ...
And they do not bother some others

They all bother me greatly ... but that's just me. What does bothers me is of no concern to anyone but ME ...

Select which ( if any ) of the things you like or dislike and figure out whose body you can live with.

Some rodders say that hand laid fiberglass is better than the chopper gun type. Then some others prefer the chopper gun fiberglass bodies. Some rodders prefer the steel substructure ... while other say the wood is better.

There's a ... A LOT of things ... to think about before you lay down the $$$.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Because you want a chopped top ... you will most likely be buying a fiberglass body.

The Brookville metal 32 3W only comes in the original, non chopped version. Walden's Speed Shop in California builds chopped 32 3W coupe bodies using Brookville steel parts and pieces but they are around 35 grand ( body only ). I have a friend who has one and it it NICE but for 35 grand ... it should be.

Go here for Waldens Speed Shop web page http://www.waldenspeedshop.com/brookville.html#

Just be careful when shopping for a fiberglass reproduction body.
There are some real junk ones available. All of the fiberglass ones I have seen have a filled roof ( Henry's was not filled ).

Also ... YOU NEED TO KNOW the features and items YOU DESIRE in a body. Some have a glued in windshield. which just screams cheap FIBERGLASS REPRO to me.

A lot of them do not have the cowl vent or the original style door hinges. Some have the weird Chevrolet style rear window shape ( the company also makes Chevrolet coupes and they were too lazy/cheap to make a mold for the correct shape 32 Ford 3W rear window. A fair number of them do not have the little recess in the lower rear panel for the fuel neck ( Henry's does )

Some have a flat ... firewall ... which screams FIBERGLASS

Some of these things really BOTHER some ...
And they do not bother some others

They all bother me greatly ... but that's just me. What does bothers me is of no concern to anyone but ME ...

Select which ( if any ) of the things you like or dislike and figure out whose body you can live with.

Some rodders say that hand laid fiberglass is better than the chopper gun type. Then some others prefer the chopper gun fiberglass bodies. Some rodders prefer the steel substructure ... while other say the wood is better.

There's a ... A LOT of things ... to think about before you lay down the $$$.
Thanks deuce, the first two companies that i found online prior to posting a thread on here was SPEEDWAY and BEAR FIBERGLASS that are around $7000 to $9000 But after this info you provided me with is making me think twice. $10,000 is what I have to play with for a frame or body to start off with, let me know what you think of the two companies. Here are the links.

Speedway

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1932-F...ign=GoogleBase

Bear Fiberglass

http://www.bearfiberglass.com/mainpages/bodies.htm
Old 10-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
let me know what you think of the two companies. Here are the links.

Speedway

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1932-F...ign=GoogleBase

Bear Fiberglass

http://www.bearfiberglass.com/mainpages/bodies.htm
I cannot ( and will not really make a judgement on either by the photos available. You have to decide. )

10 grand will build a nice chassis ... and have some CA$H left over.

Go here

http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/pdf/TCI_pg43-44.pdf

I have used TCI parts for over 25 years. I like their stuff. I buy their parts and pieces and adapt them to my original frame rails. You are in California so there are LOTS of good 32 chassis shops in you driving area. I would DRIVE to the shop of choice and check out the shop and their work.

ALSO ... there are lots of GOOD Hot Rod shows in California ... I strongly suggest going to a few and looking at the vendors and the 32 3W coupes at the event. I was at the LA Roadster show this year ( 2,500 miles 1 way from my home ) and most of the body and chassis builders were there.

I would also keep a eye on Craigslist. A lot of the time, rodders get in a financial bind or change their mind ( the wife CHANGES THEIR MIND and good deals show up.

I saw this one in Las Vegas for $4,500 ... it cost $6,500 new.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/1986107677.html

DISCLAIMER : I not associated with or have any thing to do with the Craigslist ad.
I just saw it and am referring it to show what MAY BE available
if you LOOK around.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:45 PM
58/58

Last photo:

Beautiful cars, but WAYYYYYYYYYYY out of my price range, I hope your rich....
Old 10-03-2010, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

Bear f'glass in out of business.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:20 PM

We have the good guys swap meet in Pleasanton California, and we have graffiti night summer get together out hear in Modesto California, so I will be on the look out. Thanks again and I will keep you guys posted when I get my hands on one.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
Bear f'glass in out of business.
Thank for the heads up, Thats one eliminated.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
I cannot ( and will not really make a judgement on either by the photos available. You have to decide. )

10 grand will build a nice chassis ... and have some CA$H left over.

Go here

http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/pdf/TCI_pg43-44.pdf

I have used TCI parts for over 25 years. I like their stuff. I buy their parts and pieces and adapt them to my original frame rails. You are in California so there are LOTS of good 32 chassis shops in you driving area. I would DRIVE to the shop of choice and check out the shop and their work.

ALSO ... there are lots of GOOD Hot Rod shows in California ... I strongly suggest going to a few and looking at the vendors and the 32 3W coupes at the event. I was at the LA Roadster show this year ( 2,500 miles 1 way from my home ) and most of the body and chassis builders were there.

I would also keep a eye on Craigslist. A lot of the time, rodders get in a financial bind or change their mind ( the wife CHANGES THEIR MIND and good deals show up.

I saw this one in Las Vegas for $4,500 ... it cost $6,500 new.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/1986107677.html

DISCLAIMER : I not associated with or have any thing to do with the Craigslist ad.
I just saw it and am referring it to show what MAY BE available
if you LOOK around.
Deuce, thanks for the advice on the company TCI, they were very helpful with answering all my questions. I will be driving out there soon to look at some rolling chassis.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Deuce, thanks for the advice on the company TCI, they were very helpful with answering all my questions. I will be driving out there soon to look at some rolling chassis.
The head guy ... Sal ... has been the general manager for years and he KNOWS 32's and their pieces. I spoke with him a few weeks back while he was in Pigeon Forge TN for a rod run. I bought a complete 1940 Ford stage III chassis from him about 10 years ago at the NSRA Louisville NATS. A good friend of mine ... was a dealer @ the time.

This is the last stack of stuff I bought. I am getting up a list for another order

Old 10-09-2010, 05:35 AM

Last photo:

Get a hold of Duane @ N&N Fiberglass in Bellville Arkansas.
Great guy, quality product.
Have built many using his bodies in the past few years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	la roadster 2010 dons hot rod 004.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	48755   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 coupe 063.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	48756  

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.