Need help with Camaro Paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 04:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need help with Camaro Paint

Hello all, I have spent about 45K on a 67 Camero Convertible. Body is nice but original paint is cracked & peeling. I have purchased Kleen Strip but don't know where to go from there. I have painted but not much; don't have the asking $8K for a great paint job. My last job was done with no name base & clear coat. I am reading about Dupont Chromabase. The car is white, am thinking of black or dark maroon. Suggestions???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Start by washing the car with dawn dish soap and hot water to get wax and oils off of the car..Then sand (DA) the car to remove all the damaged paint..Then apply epoxy primer..Then do any filling and blocking needed to get the car straight..Once all the filling and blocking is done then you are ready for base and clear..

Sam
Old 10-15-2011, 08:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

chem stripping isnt very hard to learn once you know a few tricks to make it easier,neater and safer. but different paints act differently when you put the stripper on so you have to be prepared before you start.Also any previous body work will have to be redone,sometimes thats a lot...

First off Kleen strip makes many kinds of stripper ,the one you want is called aircraft stripper, return it if thats not what you have.Another very good brand I've used is Jassco....
The first thing you want to do is find out how the paint will react so start with the hood.because its flat,level and its the easiest panel to strip.You can even take it off....or....
apply 3 layers of 3/4" masking tape to all the gaps to prevent any stripper from getting into the jambs then three layers of paper on that so only the hood is exposed.Dont forget to paper the back of the hood ,you really dont want to get stripper getting down in the cowl...
Pour some stripper in the center of the hood about the size of a dinner plate and leave it there for a couple hours.Dont even try to strip the whole thing right now.
some paints will instantly turn into a watery goo that'll want to run right off thats why you want to start with a smaller spot on a fairly level surface.and see whats going to happen first.after a couple hours scrape off the area and apply a second thinner coat with a brush and after 15 -30 min you should be able to scrape down to the metal....
Theres a lot more to know (like laying out tar paper on the floor) but this is the first step..knowing what your getting into.
give it a shot and take some pics then get back to us with your results or problems and we'll take it from there.......good luck
Old 10-15-2011, 03:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'd just strip it with 80g on a da . 10 hrs and its a done deal. Hit it with some SPI epoxy, then get to going on the body work.

Chemical stripper is a mess, not very fast, and can really ruin a paint job if not properly nuetralized.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:15 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Sometimes you can get lucky and sand it off ez but thats not usually the case,I've even had a couple that I stripped with only a razor blade scrapper but those are few and far between.You should try sanding it first but before you start sanding try putting some stripper on the middle of the hood like I explained...you need to know what your dealing with...but its been my experiance that on a car that old theres going to be lots of paint to get off and sanding wont be an option,It might be the original COLOR but I seriously doubt its the original paint,I've never seen a 68 camaro with original PAINT..
One of the jobs I had when I started out in this business was chem stripping,all day every day for over a year thats all I did...So ,like I said I can help make it a lot easier with little mess and very fast....and I'd be glad to help if thats what your going to need to do.
I think you'll find that sanding is a ton of work dirty ,messy and generally a PITA espesiaally with a mask on the whole time and a big enough compressor that'll power a DA all day and good quality 80 grit sand paper is expensive...At my age my Motto is: Let the stripper do all the work ......

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.