Need help choosing heads. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 11:06 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need help choosing heads.

Hey guys, I have a gm 350 crate engine. Its the 260 hp crate I want to buy a new set of heads and a cam I have about $1,100 give or take a little to spend on the heads. I dont want vortec heads or low performance iron heads. I would prefer aluminum.The engine has dish pistons, but I plan on upgrading the rotating assembly later. its going in a 1983 swb 1500 2wd truck. I have an edelbrock air gap intake with an edelbrock 750 carb. th350 trans with a shift kit and 4:10 rear end gears. I plan on getting a stall converter depending on what cam I get. this truck will not see much street it will mostly be drag raced so I dont care much about drivability. I like the looks of the 195cc Pro-filer heads but some people tell me there to much head. I have looked in to the edelbrock perfomer RPM 185cc heads also. What heads do you recommend for my setup?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

depending on how far you want to go the pro-filer 195's are a good head, i would also recomend the RHS pro action 180 heads, i can't believe i'm saying this but i researched it and found that the edelbrock performer RPM and vic heads are actually not that bad. are you looking for a solid f/t cam or hyd f/t or are you planning on converting it to a roller set up
Old 04-12-2010, 11:36 AM

I think I'm going to stick with a hydraulic f/t. And I want something that will be capable of more as I upgrade
Old 04-12-2010, 11:51 AM

might i strongly suggest a solid f/t, as a hyd f/t cam is not made for drag racing, you will end up beating the cam and lifters to death. hyd f/t is for mild street engines and solid f/t is for racing. that is until they came out with roller cams now that is a whole nother story.

the largest hyd f/t cam i would go after is one around 230 @ .050 with around .485", anything higher and you would be far better off getting a solid cam. you know that you can't use todays oils in this motor right, or atleast if you want the lobes to last i wouldn't, you need to use something with a ZDDP additive, as todays oils are made for roller cams and dont have nearly the amount of zinc and phospherous in them as oils 25 years ago did. rotella T desiel oil and royal purple are good ones to use ( i've only used royal purple) but i have read that even shell rotella T is lowering the amount of ZDDP that they have in there oil.

not to come off like a butt, but why would you be tring to build a drag motor out of a "hencho en mexico" block (Mr. Goodwrench 260hp 350), they have had quality control issues from the start. if you plan on putting a better rotating assy in there later then i would just run the motor you have now and start building another motor the way you want when you get the chance. you will end up having to either hone the block you have or have it cleaned up to 4.030 anyway so what would be the extra 100.00 bucks for another block. (this is just my opinion) but if you choose to go on with this motor just ask questions and we will still try to answer them.

is there anyway to convince you to use a solid cam
Old 04-12-2010, 01:37 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I would take that 1,100 dollars, and whatever you can get from selling the engine you have and buy a complete 4bolt Vortec engine, swap the pistons to flat top 2vr style, swap in a healthy hydraulic roller cam, do some bowl work, screw in studs, and spring work to the Vortecs, get the Hurricane intake, and 1 3/4" headers. That is pretty much the bare minimum for cheap drag racing power, with good suspension work and a higher stall you may be able to hit high 11's with it.

If you use waht you have now its going to end up as a lot of shrapnel on the track.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:16 PM

i whole heartedly agree with AP
Old 04-12-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my87Z
might i strongly suggest a solid f/t, as a hyd f/t cam is not made for drag racing, you will end up beating the cam and lifters to death. hyd f/t is for mild street engines and solid f/t is for racing. that is until they came out with roller cams now that is a whole nother story.

not to come off like a butt, but why would you be tring to build a drag motor out of a "hencho en mexico" block (Mr. Goodwrench 260hp 350), they have had quality control issues from the start. if you plan on putting a better rotating assy in there later then i would just run the motor you have now and start building another motor the way you want when you get the chance. you will end up having to either hone the block you have or have it cleaned up to 4.030 anyway so what would be the extra 100.00 bucks for another block. (this is just my opinion) but if you choose to go on with this motor just ask questions and we will still try to answer them.

is there anyway to convince you to use a solid cam
yeah I see where you're coming from about the block. When I get ready to up grade the rotating assy I would be better off getting a new block. as for now I want to stick with this one because its new and I cant afored to do it all now. but I can always reuse the heads that I get now right? and I'm new at this so yeah if the solid cam is better I will go for that. I just need to know which heads I need to get for now and that will have potential later with bigger and better things.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:04 AM

the RHS 180 pro action heads are a great performing head both in iron and alm, AFR 195's are an awsome alm head, pro-filer 195's are a good head, but you have to remember that you need to match you cam with your heads, a 195cc runner head on a 350 would be best suited with a cam that will have the motor turning up to about 6000-6500rpm, and this is well past what i would turn the block and rotating assy you have now up to, i think your best bet would be to go with the RHS 180's, they can support up to 475-500hp
Old 04-13-2010, 08:21 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

If you're going to be racing this I would go NO SMALLER than a 195 (there are a lot in the 200 range). You'll need to spin it to 6500-7500 RPM, but in racing that's relatively low for a SBC.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:18 AM
New Age Classic

Last journal entry: Seat
Last photo:

I know what i'm going to say will cause an argument but, If your wanting to keep this block and do a budget build i would recommend looking on ebay for some aluminum heads you can get a set of pro comp heads ported and fully assembled for under $700. I have two friends that have been running them in there 1969 camero and 1972 nova both are pushing over 500 hp and been doing so for over 2 years. I have had mine for a little over a year in my truck. All been problem free. I'm going to bet that a 750 cfm carb would be to much carb for this motor.
Look at item number 370360989681 at ebay.com

Last edited by 70CHEVYSHORTY; 04-13-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
If you're going to be racing this I would go NO SMALLER than a 195 (there are a lot in the 200 range). You'll need to spin it to 6500-7500 RPM, but in racing that's relatively low for a SBC.
If I got the 195's and only ran it to 5,500 RPM untill I can upgrade would I still be making decent power to start off with? I know it would have to be a heck of a lot petter than the 260hp its pushing now right?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

What you are considering will be a recipe for disappointment. Drag racing a full-size GM truck with a small block is just silly. Use the 1100 dollars to buy a fat block.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 PM

I need to make my self a little more clear. this truck will be drivin on the steet some but I live in a town of about 100 people so theres no trafic but it will mostly be just a weekend toy and I will take it to the strip some, but not every weekend. This was my fisrt truck and I am a 19 year old college student I want to soop it up to have drag racing potential but I wont be able to turn it in to a full out dragster for a while. I have a daily driver. So in other words its not going to be treated like a daily driver, but I cant afford to make it a full out dragster yet. I just want the most power I can get with the set up I have now and still have something to work with later as I can up grade.

also do you think I would be better off going for iron heads since I am on a budget?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:16 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydragster83
I need to make my self a little more clear. this truck will be drivin on the steet some but I live in a town of about 100 people so theres no trafic but it will mostly be just a weekend toy and I will take it to the strip some, but not every weekend. This was my fisrt truck and I am a 19 year old college student I want to soop it up to have drag racing potential but I wont be able to turn it in to a full out dragster for a while. I have a daily driver. So in other words its not going to be treated like a daily driver, but I cant afford to make it a full out dragster yet. I just want the most power I can get with the set up I have now and still have something to work with later as I can up grade.

also do you think I would be better off going for iron heads since I am on a budget?
That is not what you posted in your original post. My advice would be to write a list of what you want and waht you have and what you can have. The better you can represent those three factors the more satisfied you will be. So far I hear champagne tastes and a chocolate milk budget. The budget is something most of us can relate to, but you may need to be more realistic in your goals. As noted that heavy brick of a truck with a small block will not be easy to move. If you hit 12's for less than another 3 grand I would be happy.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:47 PM
New Age Classic

Last journal entry: Seat
Last photo:

I will agree with tech and ap you need to get things a little more figured out for your self i think. But i know how the budget part goes if you are set on trying to get some more hp out of your current set up then the $1100 dollars would be enough to get a set of heads and a cam. I posted some aluminum heads earlier on this thread and summit makes a pretty good line of cams at a very reasonable price. I'm a lunati fan but thats just what i'm running. Your budget and set up are not ideal but you want it to spend that green you have now to do what you can.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.