Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - need help with choosing the right combination..
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 12:39 PM
car novice..sad but true.

Wiki Edits: 0

need help with choosing the right combination..

first off let me just say that im new to the whole car scene but i am willing to learn...i have a 92 camaro rs..everything stock..i pulled the 305 and was looking at getting a 350 / L31 4-Bolt Main 350 Short Block Assembly(1-piece rear main seal, 5.700" P/M rods, and nodular iron crankshaft, VR Dish Cast Pistons (-13cc) - Approximatley 9.0 to 1 CR with 64cc heads). now the problem ive run into is...(like i said i have a small amount of knowledge) ive been looking at heads to get and everyone has their own opinion on what is good..but id like to know how i decide on what heads (with their given specs) to get. some one suggested dart 230cc heads and another person said that 230cc is not the right way to go, instead look at 200cc heads. and in one of the posts on this site someone suggested going even lower..maybe something like 170cc or 180cc. someone also suggested getting vortec heads instead of dart's. im just trying to understand how they come to these conclusions...how do i know what specs will help me and what specs will cause me to lose power. and obviously if i ever find the right heads then i'll need a cam...how would i choose a cam based on what heads im gonna get. i guess i can also tell you guys what im looking to achieve out of all this once im done..in the HP department..lets say 400+..budget wise...around $4,000,or slightly more. this wont be an everyday driver nor will it be a drag/strip car either..id like to drive it on the street on nice days and weekends maybe 3 or 4 times a week. im rackin my brain trying to comprehend all this but no one can seem to give me the answer that im lookin for...im grateful that people are trying to help..but just suggesting going with 200cc or 215cc doesnt help, for the simple fact that i dont understand how they came to that conclusion. a more indepth explanation would help me alot...thanks in advance..