Hot Rod Forum banner

Need help with clutch master and slave info

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  56Maynard 
#1 ·
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out there. I have a 3/4" HOWE Master Cylinder going into a 1-1/16" bore older Chevy Slave Cylinder. Now my problem is we bled the heck out of the thing. We tried both methods of bleeding, but the darn thing only will push the slave cylinder plunger about half an inch! The pedal has absolutely no feel at all. I was told perhaps the master cylinder isnt big enough to move the slave. We unhooked everything and checked the slaves plunger and it will not go all the way to the end of the shaft. It has over an inch to go. Now if we pump the clutch up, it will finally push it all the way out to the end point of the slave. Does this sound like I have to be getting air into the system somewhere? I would think the master should at least give the pedal some pressure and without the slave hooked up, it should have enough pressure to push the plunger out. Any helpwould be greatly apreciated! Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,
Wayne

P.S. Everything is brand new except for the clutch lines and im using a Wilwood dual pedal setup.

#4 ·
Garyrousch is correct.

Nearly every clutch master cylinder is matched for size to its connected slave cylinder for a largely 1-to-1 relationship. So, a 3/4" bore master cylinder should connect to a 3/4" slave cylinder. A 1" master should have a 1" slave cylinder. A master cylinder that is larger will yield a rather spectacularly blown out slave cylinder and a master cylinder that is smaller will yield a rather disappointing lack of travel for your left foot's efforts. There are occasions where this ratio can vary slightly from this, but rarely more than 15%.

(This was copied from Novaks knowledge base)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.