Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Need help with a couple things ign/transBrake/delay box/line lock type stuff (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/need-help-couple-things-ign-transbrake-delay-box-line-lock-223879.html)

jumbo2 09-10-2012 11:55 PM

Need help with a couple things ign/transBrake/delay box/line lock type stuff

So I bought a basket case project 81 chevy pro street truck , The guy I bought it from tryed to wire it but Its a mess and so poorly done I just gutted it to start over . I Have never had a delay box or trans brake so im unsure what to do with it ?

Does a Trans brake just need 12v + ? how many amps ? just relay and fire it off of shifter button or another way ?

Delay box does what exactly ? Its a "denenbar" sorry if i spelt it wrong Im sure its a common brand that im not spelling right . Does it have anything to do tbrake or nos ?

Truck had a msd 6a he said but he fried it so a buddy gave him a not so great HEI Dizzy , My plans are to run a new MSD dizzy and 6al with selectable rev limit module and rpm activated switch for NOS 100 shot or ? or should I run something else ? plan on a blower down the road or spray it once and a while in the near future

OK so the line lock is wired to the fuel pump so its on when fuel pump is on , I would assume again this is wrong and I use a relay but the line lock is on the rear brake lines and im unsure if thats right as well

Thanks for any and all help , I solder and heat shrink and take pride in my work and dont cut corners and will post pics as I go

jumbo2 09-10-2012 11:56 PM

sorry if this isnt the right place to ask these questions , please let me know of not :thumbup:

monster76 09-11-2012 04:43 AM

On our camaro we have trans brake wired through a 20ampfox fuse via a toggle switch which distributes power to our accessories , our fuel pumps are indep. Wired as is water pump etc and our line lock is on the front

jumbo2 09-11-2012 02:33 PM

After doing a lot of research last night I came to the conclusion that I don't need the delay box , I will run a msd 6al-2 with 2 step and relay the Trans brake through 30amp fuse and trigger 2 step for launch rev limit off shifter button .

I guess the line lock being plumbed into the rear means if I turn line lock on only the front brakes will come on not rear so that's simple relay and 10 amp fuse

jumbo2 09-11-2012 02:36 PM

I'm also going to run the fuel pump through a 30amp relay and heavy gauge wire to the rear where it is and there is 3/8 hard line fuel line so might supply enough for 100 shot if I keep an eye on the pressure with the blue pump , might go Holley black

Richardoville 09-12-2012 12:05 AM

Help is available

You can find wiring instructions online for most of your stuff. MSD has complete instructions on their website - you just need the model of box. . Hurst for the linelock and Holley for the Fuel Pump...if you really need 'em. The 30 Amp relay sounds correct for most pumps just don't forget to fuse the hot wire to the relay. I agree with Monster76 and install another switch to power the linelock and trans brake since you seldom use both at the same time. Run a seperate switch / wire to the control terminal of the pump relay.

The transbrake locks the transmission into two gears at once, usually reverse, when the button is pressed. This locks the trans up so you can floor the pedal and launch as hard as your engine and converter combination allows. It is dangerous to have the trans brake electrically on when driving on the street (you called it a pro-street) because you or a passenger could hit the button, locking up the trans and the rear tires, causing an accident. Put in a seperate switch to arm the TB & LL. You shouldn't need a relay for either the linelock or the transbrake just wire up some good 14 guage from a fused source that you can shut off. If it pops a 15 amp fuse, you have a problem in the TB or LL.

The delay box is just that. It delays the time when you release the button to actually releasing the trans brake solenoid. This is done by keeping power on to the trans brake solenoid for an amount of time you dial into the box. Usually a fraction of a second is all that's needed. You probably don't need it until you get into real serious but then, you may not need the trans brake either, again, depending on your combination.

Putting the linelock on the rear brake circuit, plumbed "backwards" allows you to control the pressure applied to the front brakes on the burnout...allowing you to control the forward speed of the vehicle for really long burnouts. The front brake circuit is where the linelock belongs if you're serious about your racing. The way it is plumbed may eventually lead to the linelock failing so be awarel.

The MSD is the only way to go if you're going to run nitrous. Just learn how to tune the thing without the NOS first! For any nitrous, I'd still recommend running a seperate pump and fuel line with pressure switches to keep you from blowing it up!

Keep reading and learning. If you hear the same thing at least twice, it's usually right. Have Fun.