Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need Help Deciding!!!!!
View Single Post
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-02-2010, 01:38 PM
BogiesAnnex1 BogiesAnnex1 is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,608
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 18
Thanked 226 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by TX512
I have a set of vortec heads in the box with rockers, rpm air gap intake, 1406 carb, and also have a comp xe262 flat tappet cam with lifters new in the box.

given the two options would YOU (both 350 short blocks costing the same price)

A. buy a vortec shortblock throw on the vrtc heads, intake, and carb


B. buy a later flat tappet short block and install the xe262 and lifters with the vrtc heads, intake, and carb

I am currently have a engine in the shop but need something temporary. THANKS
Buy the Vortec block and put the XE 262 in it. That way when or if the 262 craps out with what passes as modern oil, you can switch back to a roller.

Running a FT in the roller block only requires the FT timing set. Leave the thrust plate off. GM did this in 95 with the Vortec block under Swirl Port heads and with a flat tappet cam. Be sure to use 7.8 inch push rods with this.

Reply With Quote