Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need help diagnosing really weak rebuilt 350
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
you stated you adjusted the valves! and only the exhausts are leaking, try backing off the exhaust valves a little. to give them a little more clearance and they might seat better! The intake valves run cooler and the exhaust valve stems expand a little with the combustion temps and might be rising just a hair off the seats! Do the exhaust valves have rotators installed ? Is it a solid cam or hyd.? What did you set the valve clearances at? Is this a Chevy, Volvo, Ford, ETC? Reverse rotation? What r.p.m. did your old engine turn at 30?

Jester
'79 chevy 350, regular Rotation, The old engine didn't run when I got the boat. I re-adjusted the valves according to a write up by a very knowledgeable guy on another forurm, (honestly can't remember the exact details of how he had me do it. Was months ago) and it made no difference from where the rebuilder had adjusted them.
I don't know if the exhaust valves have rotators. Sorry for not having much info.

The engine is on the stand at this point, and honestly I'm just looking to see which parts of it aren't completly crap. I am ready to put together an engine myself that doesn't suck. What I'm looking for is ways to quickly diagnose if the bottom end is any good. I'm pretty much planning on new heads, intake, carb, etc. If I need to have the bottom end gone thru, I have a great machine shop that can do it. I would be happy for suggestions of what heads intake, etc for a good 300 hp budget build.