Need Help with door panels - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 381
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need Help with door panels

We are thinking of doing our door panels and have been experimenting with some methods. What we have done is cut a 1/8" panel the same size as the door panel. Onto this we glued a 1/8" pattern (flames). Sprayed glue on this and placed some scrap material over this then vacuumed it down. The problem we are having are the edges of the flame pattern are not very crisp. I suspect the material we chose is not stretchy (is that a word) enough to form over the sharp edges. What material do you suggest? Or should I bevel the edges of the pattern?

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2007, 10:25 AM
NEW INTERIORS's Avatar
Believe in yourself !!!!!!
 

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In My Shop..
Age: 49
Posts: 10,140
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,323
Thanked 591 Times in 437 Posts
What glue are you using?And did you wait long enough before applying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2007, 11:05 AM
OneMoreTime's Avatar
Hotrodders.com moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington State
Age: 70
Posts: 7,429
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 58
Thanked 162 Times in 151 Posts
Lot of those I have seen were a fabric type material..I would ease the edges of the patterns just a bit to help the material pull down at that point. Might take a bit of bevel to allow the material to come down tight..Play with it a few more times until you get the drift of what is doable in your shop..Also for that sort of thing I would like an adhesive that will let the material flow a bit..not a contact adhesive..you may need to hold vacuum on the article for a bit longer to let the adhesive to set up..Rather than making your flame patterns out of a rigid material try some foam material as those need to be a bit soft for comfort..

All the tips I have for now..Maybe Dan has some more..

Sam
__________________
I have tried most all of it and now do what is known to work..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 381
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
What glue are you using?And did you wait long enough before applying?
Just using 3M Super 77 for now. Thought of contact but decided to try this first. Found a piece of more forgiving material. Going to try that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 381
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Lot of those I have seen were a fabric type material..I would ease the edges of the patterns just a bit to help the material pull down at that point. Might take a bit of bevel to allow the material to come down tight..Play with it a few more times until you get the drift of what is doable in your shop..Also for that sort of thing I would like an adhesive that will let the material flow a bit..not a contact adhesive..you may need to hold vacuum on the article for a bit longer to let the adhesive to set up..Rather than making your flame patterns out of a rigid material try some foam material as those need to be a bit soft for comfort..

All the tips I have for now..Maybe Dan has some more..

Sam
Never thought of using foam for the pattern. Will try that next. Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2007, 12:17 PM
NEW INTERIORS's Avatar
Believe in yourself !!!!!!
 

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In My Shop..
Age: 49
Posts: 10,140
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,323
Thanked 591 Times in 437 Posts
I don't find that stuff works to good.I use DAP Weldwood HHR Contact cement.I let it dry before putting it on.But don't press down on it, until you are ready.Are you will not move it.check in my album,I have some pics of a door panel without the cover on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2007, 01:27 PM
302 Z28's Avatar  
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North Texas
Posts: 10,840
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 86 Times in 73 Posts
Do not ever use 3M #77 on interior work, it will not hold very well and eventually lets go.

Vince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2007, 01:33 PM
NEW INTERIORS's Avatar
Believe in yourself !!!!!!
 

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In My Shop..
Age: 49
Posts: 10,140
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,323
Thanked 591 Times in 437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Do not ever use 3M #77 on interior work, it will not hold very well and eventually lets go.

Vince
Vince is 100% right!!!Don't use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 381
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Do not ever use 3M #77 on interior work, it will not hold very well and eventually lets go.

Vince
It is free and just using it till I get my technique down pat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2007, 01:41 PM
NEW INTERIORS's Avatar
Believe in yourself !!!!!!
 

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In My Shop..
Age: 49
Posts: 10,140
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,323
Thanked 591 Times in 437 Posts
It maybe free,But it could end up costing you in the end.Thats all we are trying to tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2007, 03:20 PM
DanTwoLakes's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Age: 64
Posts: 5,944
Wiki Edits: 22

Thanks: 0
Thanked 153 Times in 140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude076
Just using 3M Super 77 for now. Thought of contact but decided to try this first. Found a piece of more forgiving material. Going to try that.
You will not have good luck with 3-M 77. It just doesn't work for what you are trying to do. You need contact adhesive, or as soon as the vehicle gets warm, the 3-M 77 will fail. Because of the thickness of the materials used, like vinyl, leather, and Ultraleather, it is not easy to get crisp lines. Are you using closed cell foam for your designs? Whatever you use needs to be very firm to hold the shape.
__________________
__________________________________

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
__________________________________
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 381
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
You will not have good luck with 3-M 77. It just doesn't work for what you are trying to do. You need contact adhesive, or as soon as the vehicle gets warm, the 3-M 77 will fail. Because of the thickness of the materials used, like vinyl, leather, and Ultraleather, it is not easy to get crisp lines. Are you using closed cell foam for your designs? Whatever you use needs to be very firm to hold the shape.
Just using the 3M to test my technique/material and vacuum table. Was not planning to use it for the final product.

Right now I am using 1/8" hardboard for the patterns but plan on 1/8" ABS when I am ready for the real thing.

Wife wants to use something like a micro fleece for a subtle effect. I tried a piece of fleece and managed to get the effect she wants. I am concerned about contact cement bleeding through the fleece material so either will have to find a better glue or change my choice of material.

Thanks for all the help

Last edited by heyjude076; 12-23-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2007, 07:16 AM
DanTwoLakes's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Age: 64
Posts: 5,944
Wiki Edits: 22

Thanks: 0
Thanked 153 Times in 140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude076
Just using the 3M to test my technique/material and vacuum table. Was not planning to use it for the final product.
Yes, I understand that. My point is this: How will you know if you get the effect you're looking for if you don't use what will be used on the final product?
__________________
__________________________________

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
__________________________________
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2007, 09:42 AM
NEW INTERIORS's Avatar
Believe in yourself !!!!!!
 

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In My Shop..
Age: 49
Posts: 10,140
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,323
Thanked 591 Times in 437 Posts
What Dan is saying is true.If you are going to practice use the right stuff.And if you do it right. Then you can use what you did.And it will last.Plus you are learning with the right stuff.And when you use the right stuff it will be alot easier for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 381
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
What Dan is saying is true.If you are going to practice use the right stuff.And if you do it right. Then you can use what you did.And it will last.Plus you are learning with the right stuff.And when you use the right stuff it will be alot easier for you.
Thanks for the advise - will give it a try after holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.