Need help in electronic speedometers and compators - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 02:38 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need help in electronic speedometers and compators

I have a project on " Car Speed Alarm System " to present next week at the end. I am using an LM319 as comparator, a DC voltage representing my speed limit or reference, an old electronic speedometer together with an odometer, but I need just the speedometer. I want to simulate the car speed( detected by sensors ) that I have to compare with the reference in term of voltage,in the Lab using a generator to generate some kind of pulses which to send to the speedometer and also to be used signal to be compared with the reference( using its amplitude). But I am not very sure and am confused because of the nature of the pulses signal. So I want to ask some questions:

1. Am I in righ way to do that comparison?
2. What is exactely the kind (nature) of signal sent to the electronic speedometer and coming from sensors?
3. Can I compare that signal with the DC reference at the comparator or I have to use a signal conditioning?
4. Can I have a universal waring diagram of an electronc speedometer?
5. How exactely an electronic speedometer works? Many reading so far do not give me a better way to understand

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards

Kabuya Kanyinda

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 02:59 AM

Need help in electronic speedometers and compators

I forgot one thing:

The electronic speedometer I am using is from a car mark Ford Mondeo S771 JRV, year 1998. Thanks.

Regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

speedometers use 4000 pulses per mile, or 8000 pulses. Amplitude plays a small role as it needs to be sufficient to provide a signal that will drive the circuit beyond its static state . The amplitude of the signal the speedo sees is not linear with speed in any form.
Most circuitry has a clipper to "tame " the amplitude so the circuit can handle the signal with out overdriving it (overmodualtion) or applying overvoltage.
I dont get to mess with a lot of speedos and info can be hard to find .
Many times the signal is "handled" by another module like the engine control module, then handed off to the speedometer . Some times it is to convert a signal to a harmonic frequency (usually double) or to boost amplitude to drive the speedo , but only to satisfy circuit bias and not for analog measurment of speed.
Some of the GM systems have a "buffer" which I suspect is an amplifier to raise voltage/ current enough that the signal can be shared by 2 or three loads...like speedo, cruise control...PCM strategy etc. But it is the frequency that all the devices use for speed input
Not sure if this helps.Good luck

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.