Hot Rod Forum banner

Need help estimating paint requirements

864 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
Need some help estimating how much paint to buy for a paint job I plan on doing this fall.

The car is a 66 Dodge Dart 4 door so it is a large car. I intend to change the color so will be painting the jams, hood and trunk underside, engine compartment, and of course the outside of the car. I plan to use Kirker Black Diamond BC/CC metallic paint.

Any suggestions on how much primer, base coat, and clear coat I will need would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much
Legacy

#2 ·
Primer amount depends on the product being used and how much work is being done on the car. Primers, I would start with 1 gallon at a time and not have it sit around too much. Consider epoxy primer. Paint, might be able to get by with 1 gallon of color, clear, more like 3. All depending on how many coats being applied. I wouldnt buy until you are getting close to apply.

#4 ·
you'll need 2 gallons of paint or color 6qts of clear (2 gal), if you have to ask how much then I'd suggest NOT using a metallic and using a SS solid color its way easier to paint for beginners.
As for primer it all depands...Are you stripping it to the metal ,if so you'll need at least a gallon of epoxy primer you'll want a 2k over your body work so that depends on how much body work you do.post some pics ,it may help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.