Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need Help FAST!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 06:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime85
this is also what he is claiming so its a 357c.i. w/ 305 heads has a unknown cam w/ a carb jetted to 1,000(dont know a lot about carbs so not sure if im saying that right) w/ a decent intake.stock 350 or 305 headers,stock not true dual exhaust,and stock air cleaner making around 425hp and unknown torque.
Well this is where the logic seems to break down a little.

A forty overbore would be 357, sounds OK.

I seriously doubt that even professionally ported 305 heads would support 425 hp on anything. But the cam plays big time on this. It takes a big stick to drag 425 ponies out of a 350 and that size cam ain't much fun to live with on the street.

I don't know what jetted to 1000 on the carb means. I'm guessing he means cubic feet per minute of air flow, which has nothing to do with jets and everything with venturi and throttle bore size. For 425 hp 750 to 800 cfm would be sufficient.

Intakes make or break an engine, I'd need to know what intake.

Stock air cleaners are not as restrictive as the purveyors of aftermarket filters would have you believe. A K&N element inside a factory can tied to a cold air source outside the engine room is very effective.

Guessing this has an automatic and with the 305 heads, headers bigger than 1 and 5/8s wouldn't gain anything useful and would probably cost a lot of bottom end torque.

Single exhaust isn't necessarily bad, but for 425 hp it's gonna take some big pipe like at least 3 inches.

Does this beast run? Building a fire in it is the best way to get a sense about the cam which is at the heart of the matter. This could be one nasty SOB or a piece of junk, you'll have to sort that out. But except for folks sometimes not understanding what they're talking about, this sounds like it could be a good 1980's era rod.

Bogie