Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need help with first 383 build
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 03:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanphelps321 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm new to these forums, I hope I'm not out of place. I will be swapping a bigger engine into my 92 Firebird. I have a chevy 350( 1 piece RMS, non roller, I'm pretty sure 87-up) block, making it a 383 stroker.
If it's an '87+ block it should be a roller block. That would be a big plus.
Quote:
I have all the stock parts that came off of it, but don't plan on using any of the parts I pulled off. When I take the block to be cleaned and all, I'm going to have them bore it to 4.030" and hone it out. I'm trying to get 400 hp out of this build. I plan on hooking up a T56 6spd and 3.73 posi rear to this engine. I've been talking to some people about parts to buy, but would like to get some second opinions and more help.
They will have to clearance the sides for the stroker crankshaft. Down by the oil pan gasket.

Quote:
Right now, I have a lunati 60103 cam and the lifters that cam with the 60103LK kit and a holley 4150 double pumper 650 cfm mechanical secondary carb. But I'm still figuring the rest of my build.

What I plan on getting:
Heads: Modified vortechs, assembled to handle .600 lift. 64 cc Scoggin Dickey Parts Center SD8060RA2 - SB Chevrolet Vortec Cylinder Head w/ 0.600 Springs for Roller Cams | SDParts - 1-800-456-0211
Iron heads will be cheap, but Vortec heads flow roughly 220cfm give or take a little, and will be adequate for a 383cube engine. I would put an aluminum head with a minimum of 195cc port that flows minimum of 250cfm. Something like this will do:

Summit Racing SUM-162112 - Summit Racing Street & Strip® Cylinder Heads for Small Chevy - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Quote:
Excellent intake, can't go wrong with that.
It's better to buy everything as one package to save a few bucks. Try ohiocrank.com to see what packages they offer. Their cranks are made in the USA.

Quote:
I also plan on zero decking this, getting a CR of 9.45:1 with head gasket thickness of .040". Just wanted to get as many opinions and/or advice as I could.
With an aluminum head you can go much higher on the compression than that and sacrifice virtually nothing. I run 11.77-1 and run pump 93. It will run on 91 octane but I don't push it when I run it on that. Personally I would shoot for 10.5-1 to play it safe and still make power.

That cam is very mild for a 383. Your hp goals are very low and I'm sure you'd probably hit them or be close with the parts you pick, but next year you may want more power. Just trying to save you on a teardown for next year!