Need help with first 383 build - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 06:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by my87Z View Post
@ Joelster have a good one buddy

@ The OP, i'm sorry that we've hijacked your thread man, i hope that you still got some valuable info between it all. feel free to ask questions and continue searching on this site as it is full of great informations and plenty of great people willing to help you.
It's fine. There was good info in there.

When it comes to the distributor, say I go with HEI. But then where do I go with trigger style, advance type, computer control compatible, etc? Would it be best to go with stock trigger and like a vacuum advance? I don't know.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 07:41 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

A couple points...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanphelps321 View Post
It's fine. There was good info in there.

When it comes to the distributor, say I go with HEI. But then where do I go with trigger style, advance type, computer control compatible, etc? Would it be best to go with stock trigger and like a vacuum advance? I don't know.
As far as the intake manifold, if the RHS head's intake ports are as high (or nearly so) as a Vortec head- regardless if the heads have dual bolt patterns- you will be much better off running a Vortec intake than a lower port non-Vortec intake. The reason for this is most dual plane intakes will not have enough material above the intake port opening to allow porting to match the intake ports of the head. There are a few high-port open plenum SBC intakes that have enough meat, but you want to use a dual plane.

I prefer the non Air Gap RPM intake, but you can decide that for yourself.

For the ignition system, the GM HEI as a base to work from is hard to beat. You can buy a brand new aftermarket HEI for <$60. There are modules available that increase the performance potential of a stock GM HEI, and there are obviously amp boxes like the MSD 6-series that work very well.

But whatever you choose, the timing curve is critical to good performance and drivability. There is more to be gained or lost there than almost any change that can be made, tuning-wise. Here is a page on the GM HEI. The section on timing is relevant regardless of what kind of distributor you use. You want to use a vacuum advance, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
383, chevy

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.