Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need help flange tool/lap welds &cutting straight panels.
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 11:00 PM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Need help flange tool/lap welds &cutting straight panels.

Ok fellas when I weld in patch panels&I have yet to have a problem arise that I could not handle.The only main problem that I have is getting the old panel and the new panel cut the exactly the same.I just use a 4 inch cut off wheel on my grinder.Which brings me to my first question I really want a plasma cutter& if I get one could I possibly put my new piece of sheet over the bad area tack this sheet up there and use the plasma cutter to cut both out to have a direct fit?
******************* My next question is I have yet to do a lap joint/weld I a lot of these flange tools and it seems that they may work good for certain jobs.But I don't really get how it works so you make the flange around the panel then I'm guessing behind the cut out hole and pull it forward for it to fit properly.
********* This is what I can figure out the patches in the middle of a pannel you cant get to from the backside then how does it work?What do you do?I really want to learn how to do this as lately metalworking is starting to fascinate me.Now that I have all of my paint tools and most of my body tools,too many wrenches&ratchets.&I just upgraded from a flux core to a gas mig hobart which I am in love with.My plan is to start buying metal fabrication tools as I find deals on em.My main goal is being able to learn how to make my own patch panels.I've always sucked and other things I've tried.But when it comes to paint and body cars and motorcycles I get better by the minute no one showing me nothing....Sorry so long please someone help me understand how to use this flange* tool & learn how to weld nice flush panels that way.Thanks a ton!

Please excuse any typos or terseness: this email was sent from my mobile and I have clumsy fingers.