need help with ford AOD information - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 05:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

need help with ford AOD information

I bought a 1985 ford van with a 302 and C-6 (I thought) the pan has 14 bolts everything I find tells me it's an AOD but it is only a 3 speed and I thought all AOD were 4 speed. Issue is I bought a B&M Z-Gate shifter and now I'm lost as to what to do. Is there such thing as a 3 speed AOD? In the van it reads P R [D] D 1 and the van has a tag that says overdrive. help a n00b out please. I put the engine and tranny in my 68 Galaxie replacing the 3 speed with an automatic.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2007, 11:56 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b

I bought a 1985 ford van with a 302 and C-6 (I thought) the pan has 14 bolts everything I find tells me it's an AOD but it is only a 3 speed and I thought all AOD were 4 speed. Issue is I bought a B&M Z-Gate shifter and now I'm lost as to what to do. Is there such thing as a 3 speed AOD? In the van it reads P R [D] D 1 and the van has a tag that says overdrive. help a n00b out please. I put the engine and tranny in my 68 Galaxie replacing the 3 speed with an automatic.
It's an AOD. The selector pattern should read P-R-D (in a circle)-D (this postion will be third/direct)-1 (this position will be low and second can be derived from it).

The pre-88 AOD had design problems. It doesn't go into OD?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:09 AM

Last photo:

Ford AOD

DO NOT DRIVE that car until you get the kickdown linkage set up! AOD's improperly adjusted will disintegrate PDQ as will most OD trannys.You may have to get a Lokar kickdown cable since you put it in a pre-AOD car,you can do an adjustment off the directions,but then get to a tranny shop ASAP and have them complete it, it is critical that the line pressure is right on.For more info I suggest this website www.becontrols.com/tech Oh,more bad news ! B&M Z-gates are not AOD compatable you should contact B&M's tech folks to help you with that .

Last edited by JeffB; 04-30-2007 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

JeffB's right a Z gate won't work, the detents and travel are not compatible with the AOD. I run a BM Quicksilver in my and AOD and they are compatible, if you want the shifter allows you to shift by rowing the from 1 to D to go up through gears. The AOD has 3 speeds and lockup 1:1 which is considered the OD and will only get there in [D]. Summit's website will sort the BM shifters they carry that work with AODs
Old 04-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitchco
JeffB's right a Z gate won't work, the detents and travel are not compatible with the AOD. I run a BM Quicksilver in my and AOD and they are compatible, if you want the shifter allows you to shift by rowing the from 1 to D to go up through gears. The AOD has 3 speeds and lockup 1:1 which is considered the OD and will only get there in [D]. Summit's website will sort the BM shifters they carry that work with AODs

I hate to disagree, but will:

The AOD has 4 speeds.

The AOD will shift 3 times; 1-2 , 2-3 then 3-4 (OD)

The AOD ; when the shift to 3rd gear happens , you are at a 1-1 ratio and lock up. I explain below

There are 3 splined shafts out of the pump. Outer splines is the support for the stator in the converter.

Middle shaft is for input to the forward clutch drum.

Inner shaft is the link to the direct clutch from a spring loaded hub inside the converter. This is a 1-1 drive to the 3rd gear clutch drum

Some converter companys offer a modified converter turbine hub where the shaft to 3rd gear is driven off the turbine hub and does not provide a 1-1 hook up with the engine.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:00 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

When you swapped the engine/transmission, did you keep everythng the same? Does it have a carburator? If so, your TV cable should be there and simply be reused.

As far as the shifter yes, Ford only used three detents for a four speed auto.

Heres's another valuable resource:

AOD
Old 04-30-2007, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
I hate to disagree, but will:

The AOD has 4 speeds.

The AOD will shift 3 times; 1-2 , 2-3 then 3-4 (OD)

The AOD ; when the shift to 3rd gear happens , you are at a 1-1 ratio and lock up. I explain below

There are 3 splined shafts out of the pump. Outer splines is the support for the stator in the converter.

Middle shaft is for input to the forward clutch drum.

Inner shaft is the link to the direct clutch from a spring loaded hub inside the converter. This is a 1-1 drive to the 3rd gear clutch drum

Some converter companys offer a modified converter turbine hub where the shaft to 3rd gear is driven off the turbine hub and does not provide a 1-1 hook up with the engine.
Sure enough the service manual does describe 4th as the overdrive with 2/3 ratio and 3rd being the 1:1. I always thought the OD was the 1:1.

well how about that, now I know.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.