Need help with fuel gauge - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 02:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need help with fuel gauge

Hi,

I bought a truck with a fuel cell and an Auto Meter Ultra Lite fuel gauge. When I bought it, the fuel gauge wasn't working (it always showed below empty). I checked all of the connections and the gauge looked hooked up correctly but the sending unit on the fuel cell wasn't grounded. I grounded it to the frame and then the gauge showed 3/4 full which wasn't right as it was really only 1/2 full. So I drove it down to a 1/4 tank but the gauge still showed 3/4.

Thinking it was the sending until I replaced it with a Summit replacement (the fuel cell is also by Summit). Now this showed the tank as empty which is what the tank was so I thought it was working. However, when I filled the tank up I still get an empty reading and the gauge doesn't change. The needle does come up off of where it rests when I turn it on so I know it has power.

Currently, the fuel gauge has a wire connected to the sending unit, a power wire hooked up to the ignition, and a ground going to the firewall. The sending unit is grounded to the bed frame and of course has the wire to the gauge.

Does anyone have any advice? I am lost on getting this gauge working.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2005, 02:28 PM

Last photo:

The resistance of the sender must match the gauge. Sounds like incorrect pieces..
Old 02-01-2005, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

bobs right. First you need to find out what application your gage is for. There should be a part # on the back 4314-4318. Look in your Summit catalog and it will tell you the application and sending unit and resistance (ohms) required to match the gage. Remove the sending unit and bench test with and ohm meter. Attach the leads to the mounting flange (-) and output stud (+) then cycle the float from full to empty and check against the listings in the gage section and you will be able to figure out what pieces you have. Match the correct sender to your gage and your all done..

ps. The first page in my gallery has the Autometer instructions. It wouldn't link up.

Last edited by Pony; 02-01-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:46 AM

Last photo:

Just wanted to say thanks! I replaced the gauge with a 0-90 OHM to match the sending unit and it all works perfect now.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.