need help fuel/timing issue - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 12:29 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

need help fuel/timing issue

I recently purchased a brand new distributer for my engine wich is the 300hp crate 360 magnum from mopar. I purchased my distributer from don at fbo systems and he told me i needed to run my vaccum advance off of manifold vaccum... So i did as he instructed set my initial timing at 14 degrees wich lands my total timing at 32 degrees and my vaccum advance adds an additional 14 degrees of timing at an idle.
Here is my problem... I am getting a faint popping and putting noise from my exhaust while the engine is at an idle and the carburetor i am running is the edelbrock performer 600cfm manual choke carb and i have adjusted the idle air mixture screws with zero success i still get the popping out the exhaust no matter what i do with the idle air mixture screws.
I can set the idle air mixture screws to read the highest vaccum reading from my vaccum gauge and that dont work i can richen them up and that dont work nothing works with the idlke air mixture screws
I know that i am not in the transistion spot of the carb my idle is turned down pretty far and with all the extra timing is idle at about 800rpm.
My question is what can i do to solve this? obviously the engine wnats more fuel at an idle wich i can not give it with this edelbrock because there is limited adjustability on these edelbrock carbs, So is my last option limited to turning the vaccum advance canister down a little bit at a time untill i dont hear the popping at an idle? I called don at fbo systems and told him i was thinking about running my vaccum advance off of ported vaccum and he about tore me a new ***** hole when i mentioned that and he insisted that it must be ran off of manifold vaccum. His solution was for me to buy a 500 dollar quickfuel carburetor with a 4 corner idle and adjustable idle air bleedrs, while that does sound appealing i dont have that kind of money right now for a carburetor.
So its looking to me like i can ether turn down my initial timing, wich would require me to lengthen the mechanical advance so that i coul;d maintain my total of 32 degrees, or i can turn down the vaccum advance so that it does not add as much advance at an idle while connected to manifold vaccum. What do you guys think? please help me with this i am beyond frustrated with this. The engine is running amazingly good pulls super hard and is very responsive the only issue i am having is this popping out the exhaust crap while its at an idle and thats the only problem i am having, other then that its running the best i have ever had it running.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc360
I recently purchased a brand new distributer for my engine wich is the 300hp crate 360 magnum from mopar. I purchased my distributer from don at fbo systems and he told me i needed to run my vaccum advance off of manifold vaccum... So i did as he instructed set my initial timing at 14 degrees wich lands my total timing at 32 degrees and my vaccum advance adds an additional 14 degrees of timing at an idle.
Here is my problem... I am getting a faint popping and putting noise from my exhaust while the engine is at an idle and the carburetor i am running is the edelbrock performer 600cfm manual choke carb and i have adjusted the idle air mixture screws with zero success i still get the popping out the exhaust no matter what i do with the idle air mixture screws.
I can set the idle air mixture screws to read the highest vaccum reading from my vaccum gauge and that dont work i can richen them up and that dont work nothing works with the idlke air mixture screws
I know that i am not in the transistion spot of the carb my idle is turned down pretty far and with all the extra timing is idle at about 800rpm.
My question is what can i do to solve this? obviously the engine wnats more fuel at an idle wich i can not give it with this edelbrock because there is limited adjustability on these edelbrock carbs, So is my last option limited to turning the vaccum advance canister down a little bit at a time untill i dont hear the popping at an idle? I called don at fbo systems and told him i was thinking about running my vaccum advance off of ported vaccum and he about tore me a new ***** hole when i mentioned that and he insisted that it must be ran off of manifold vaccum. His solution was for me to buy a 500 dollar quickfuel carburetor with a 4 corner idle and adjustable idle air bleedrs, while that does sound appealing i dont have that kind of money right now for a carburetor.
So its looking to me like i can ether turn down my initial timing, wich would require me to lengthen the mechanical advance so that i coul;d maintain my total of 32 degrees, or i can turn down the vaccum advance so that it does not add as much advance at an idle while connected to manifold vaccum. What do you guys think? please help me with this i am beyond frustrated with this. The engine is running amazingly good pulls super hard and is very responsive the only issue i am having is this popping out the exhaust crap while its at an idle and thats the only problem i am having, other then that its running the best i have ever had it running.
I would try ported vac.I've always done this and had no problems, tell your buddy to rethink his advice, selling you something over the phone w/o knowing the whole story??
Old 06-16-2012, 01:17 PM

he said his distributers are built to run on full time manifold vaccum... And he also said my engine was desighned to run onn manifold vaccum. He said unless you have cat converters and o2 sensors ported vaccum is not correct.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.