Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - need help in getn to a 6k shift point drag race for blower car
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoaz View Post
My issue is that as soon as i try to give it gas it jumps quickly to 6000 and i shift and rpms stay high at 6000 so i shift to third and i hit my rev limiter at 6400 with only part throtal at half track in 1/4 mile. I want to slow down the rise of rpm so i can have a decent. 2nd and 3rd. Hope this makes sence. Is 4.10 a good ratio. How do you do the math to select ratio?
Only sees the track.
I think I understand you now- it was my problem, not yours.

Jester has the right idea, I believe. I'm thinking the torque of that bad boy is driving right through the converter, causing it to stall way too high (you can think of this as the same type thing as a slipping manual clutch). Or the torque converter itself is faulty. This amount of slippage just tortures the ATF and can break the fluid down to the point of a transmission failure from the heat and loss of lubricity of the ATF. For that reason I'd recommend you not race this until you get the problem fixed.

Now, I am assuming the tranny isn't what's doing the slipping and that the fluid is at the correct level and the filter isn't clogged.

Check the color and smell of the ATF. By now the fluid may have a bad smell and be darker than normal. If this is what you see/smell, the ATF is no good and has to be changed along w/the filter. If you have to change the fluid and filter, be sure to look at what's in the bottom of the tranny pan and stuck to the magnet (if there's a magnet in the bottom of the pan). If you see pieces of friction material and/or metal debris, you might have more problems than a too-loose torque converter.

Hopefully the trans is still OK. If it is, I believe the cure is going to be a tighter blower torque converter and maybe higher rear gears, like the 4.11 you mentioned. But start w/the tranny/converter first.

For the torque converter, I wouldn't try to cut corners. Instead, get the advice of a good converter builder like Coan, Hughes, or Neil Chance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
painted jester (12-10-2012), PatM (03-19-2013)