Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - need help in getn to a 6k shift point drag race for blower car
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 01:04 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If your tires break loose when you shift the tach. will climb momentarily! If your adrenalen is high you may not notice!

The converter on drag cars are limited in life!!! The abuse on power flashed on them bends the vanes inside the impeller!!! your converter may have reached its retirement age ! That's why you don't skimp on a converter for a drag car

I used to test trans. fluid by putting one drop of new fluid on a paper napkin and one drop of used fluid next to it,and if the old fluid drop spread out more then the new one it was time to change it!! This old trick from the 60s still works ( fluid brands and temperature must be the same)! I tried to make an example with a napkin and post it, but all my fluid is good LOL sorry!

" Don't do this " years ago: I used to run Vega 10" convertors behind an 800 horse 471 blown small block ( they were cheep and worked) But they only lasted for maybe a week end! I was on the street (Woodward) Cruising and pulled a hole shot showing off, and the converter disintegrated and the trans broke the bell housing of the main body and parts scattered all over the street The trans blanket and scatter shield is all that saved my leg's fluid got on my slicks I was going side ways into the other lane That scared me worse then Vietnam "Don't Do That" And I got a big Ticket!!
The only thing funny about this story is : My 38 Plymouth was towed 40 miles home by a little 'Model A' street rod!

To any one reading this! Don't skimp on a converter They are a bomb waiting to happen!
After that my converters were custom made!! no more Vegas or over the counter converters!!!! I had the life scared out of me!

You do run a scatter shield don't you!

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 12-11-2012 at 01:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to painted jester For This Useful Post:
menoaz (12-11-2012)