Need help getting engine started after upgrades! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2005, 06:09 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need help getting engine started after upgrades!

Hi there all. I could REALLY use help getting my engine to start since it's on my daily driver and I'm stuck until we do. I have a gen 1 chevy 350. I just put edelbrock rpm heads, rpm cam, edelbrock pushrods, and crane roller rockers on. The problem I am having is after we installed all of this for some reason the fuel pumping isn't pumping fuel through. Everything else seems to be in perfect working order except that. We tried to replace the fuel pump real fast in case it was bad but had the same result. I then tried to putting the inlet line to the pump in a cup of fuel to see if it was a gas tank issues but nothing again. Next we took off the pump and cranked it over to see if the rod that pushed the pump was moving and it was. We also tried pushing the pumps lever by hand and you can hear air moving when you do it so I think both pumps work. It would be REALLY odd or mine to stop working right after installing all this stuff and for my buddy's back up pump to not work either. The engine seems to be cranking over at a acceptable speed. Any ideas here folks? If I can't find any better possible solutions to get it running then I am gonna try a electic fuel pump on Monday to see if that gets it going. I still want to know what the heck is going on with it though. My buddy is a certified mechanic and has done this sort of work more than a few times. We must have spent 4 hours racking our brains trying to come up with possible solutions. HELP!!!!!
Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2005, 06:35 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Perhaps a dumb question to ask, but there is gas in the tank? I would add 5 gallons just to make sure. Other than that, I would recommend checking the lines for a possible pin hole, if there`s a hole in line, no matter what pump you use it`ll pump air.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:21 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Did you pull the fuel line off of the carb and crank it over to see if its pumping? A clear in line filter is always handy to have to see this.

It may be pumping but the needle/seat in the carb is stuck.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:47 AM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Check you gas levels just as someone else posted - I did that once, ran the battery down trying to start it then realized there wasn't enough fuel in the system...

The only other thing I would check is the fuel pressure - an inline vacuum guage with a t-fitting would get you there. I'd put it on the fuel pump outlet to carb line and all you have to do is crank it over and see if it builds up enough pressure
Old 12-25-2005, 09:36 AM

Well I filled the tank up that morning so I had at least 20 gallons in it. I also blew hp air through the lines to make sure they where clear and they where. I had said earlier that I bypassed the tank by taking the inlet line right under the pump and put it in a cup of fuel and tried cranking it then. I outlet line right after the pump was also hanging off to see if anything came out of the pump. Nothing. Now keep in mind we did check to make sure it was on the rod pushing the pump multiple times and also that the rod was moving. My fuel pump worked fine that morning and he said his extra should have worked too so I find it unlikely that both pumps are bad right after I installed that stuff. Weird problem huh. I've done everything possible to narrow it down to the pump isn't pumping but the rod moves and the pump works far as we can tell. AHHHHHH this is so frustrating cause it SHOULD work!!!
Old 12-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Try this.....fill the carb bowls through the vent tube...... dribble some gas into the venturis while cranking and see if the thing will run... If you can keep it running long enough it might pick up fuel from the tank and fill the carb bowls.

All things being equal....... the only variable in your equation is that the fuel pump lobe on the cam is of a smaller radius and the pump is not stroking long enough stroke to hit the short rod.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:45 AM

Yeah I was wondering if the rod was shorter than normal. Yesterday my buddy pulled one from another 350 he had sitting around and it was the same size. I couldn't see Edelbrock not making that a common recommendation if you put in their cam. I plan on calling them tomorrow to see if they every heard of this before. Has anyone here every heard of a problem like this with putting on the RPM cam?
Old 12-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

If the rod is moving on the cam, and you are not getting fuel from the pump. you must have a bad pump.....unless it is just sucking air. I have seen where there is a hole in the top of the pipe coming out of the tank....no spillage, but just sucking air...Check that.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Check and smell your oil...

Bet ya got a diaphragm pinhole...in the pump..

If you have another known good pump, swap it out.

Doc
Old 12-25-2005, 08:49 PM
My bike has 4wheel disc brakes

Last photo:

Could also hook an air line up to the fuel line and see if it will hold pressure?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.