Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - need help how to wire up an 2001 LS1 into a 79 z28 camaro
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

There should be only a few wires that actually go to a 12 Volt + source for the PCM. Your gonna need a wiring diagram.At the very least a pinout diagram for the PCM. I may be able to get one for you but it wont be untill monday.
If the sensors are all wired and plugged in, and the trans connectors are plugged in, about the only thing left would be the fuel pump wiring , fuel tank fuel level , tank pressure sensor value , and a evap canister closed/vent valve / solenoid. A total of about 9 wires.
The fuel gauge (and tank pressure sensor)on that car would send its signal to a body module, which would process the value into a CAN type message , which then is sent out on the CAN network.The PCM would use the message to test the EVAP system and to calculate purge amount.
The Instrument panel recieves the message and displays the fuel level.
I know it probably is confusing but dont sweat it.
the car you have the LS1 in , never had OBD 2 or even OBD 1. So none of that should make much difference.
The reason I mentioned it was the PCM will set codes for missing components, like the tank pressure sensor,and for things like purge control that probably wont be operative, unless you fab the stuff up and make it work, which is do able, and not a bad Idea if you live in California, as they are cracking down on muscle cars from what I understand.
How many wires doyou have left over? what are the colors? where do they originate?
Maybe you could post the wiring diagram for the FAST system you have, or a link, also are you running the FAST computer or the stock PCM?
The FAST computer may not have the hardware and software to run the 4L60E. Running a stock PCM may have been a better choice.

Last edited by LATECH; 06-23-2012 at 07:44 AM.