Need help in identifying - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 12:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I know this may be onvious to most here, but till you sort it out, you may consider a dual plane single four intake. Even on the most dialed in small blocks, that Tunnel ram is twitchy. They can make anything hard to start.

All the other stuff these guys are telling you is right on the money. Good luck and most of all, have fun.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackScorpion
Thanks for the reply, got this vehicle a few weeks ago from my brother -in law, the car has been sitting in his garage for 4 years. He just let it sit there.
If the car has been sitting there for 4 yrs.I would think that the carbs would need to be rebuilt.Not saying that's your problem.But I would bet that's one of your problems. laying up gas in a carb for 4yrs isn't good.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:06 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
If the car has been sitting there for 4 yrs.I would think that the carbs would need to be rebuilt.Not saying that's your problem.But I would bet that's one of your problems. laying up gas in a carb for 4yrs isn't good.
True, but I would think it should at least fire up on start fluid or better yet, carb cleaner spray.

With all the work involved in pulling/replacing the dist, I think I'd try to sort out the HEI problem a bit longer.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J
True, but I would think it should at least fire up on start fluid or better yet, carb cleaner spray.

With all the work involved in pulling/replacing the dist, I think I'd try to sort out the HEI problem a bit longer.

Like I said,I'm not saying it's his problem,But I would bet it's another problem that he will have.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:14 PM
1922 Ford Model T

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J

F&J I though of the same thing not even with starting fluid does it start up. I'm going to try and replace the Distributor cap, rotor, wires and plugs and see what happens.

Quote:

I though about that. Maybe like Dan S said going to a single carb would be my best bet. But i do like the look of the double carb. Well, here my dilemma, just moved into this house and just sold my last home after 2 1/2 years on the market, needless to say I broke out even. So money is kinda tight right now. I'm looking for the quick way to get the car running, once it's running i can start replacing parts, from there i can continue on to the body and interior. I just need it to run so can move it in and out of the garage as i have other things going on in the garage. I though of the wheel dollies but my garage floor and driveway are not in the best of shape, so the might hang on the cracks. I appreciate your suggestions, and sorry for being such a newbie!

Frank
Old 07-28-2008, 01:19 PM

Last photo:

I ran a tunnel ram on my 32 roadster.Once I put the right carbs on it,No more trouble.I have made some very long trips in it too.They can be a pain sometimes,But that's part of hot rodding. I also converted a points distributor to electronic using a conversion kit.That helped out too.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:19 PM

Last photo:

I kind of figured you might be new to this, so that's why I thought there might be some hope in fixing the HEI without removing it. No sense in getting in too deep right now.

Is there any local friend that know a little about troubleshooting those HEI's? Might be something simple. you said you had some spark, so I would not give up yet.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:24 PM

Last photo:

If you are going to use the HEI,I would get a hotter coil for it.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

If the spark at the plug is blue (with a fully charged battery) its good. If the gas is 2 years old it is no good an the thing ain't going to start. Replace the fuel.
If the thing ran before wiht a tunnel ram, it will run now. Get some new gas.
You don't need starter fluid. Clean the battery cables and the ground attachment on the engine block, put the distributor back together and fire it up.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
If the spark at the plug is blue (with a fully charged battery) its good. If the gas is 2 years old it is no good an the thing ain't going to start. Replace the fuel.
If the thing ran before wiht a tunnel ram, it will run now. Get some new gas.
You don't need starter fluid.
Coincence I was just reading all the posts to see if it had new gas...

I think the spark was Ok enough to start...even if he drained the tank, there may have been enough old gas in the line & pump to screw it up.

I usually feed the motor with a small gas tank I have. (unhook the main gas line from the tank to the pump, also) That eliminates the pump, tank & old gas. Before hooking up the small tank, I use a funnel to feed gas into the flex line that feeds the fuel rail, before there is any chance of cranking the old gas into the dry bowls. Then I check the accelerator squirters, check for stuck needles (overflowing fuel), THEN give it a go.

I do use carb cleaner to fire some oldies; sometimes it helps if the compression is down because of slight rust on the valve seats....or if the cranking speed is low. I try to have a Halon fire extinguisher and damp bath towel nearby...especially with cammed up motors. My Dart likes being on fire

Also, roll the car outside. No sense in burning down your new house before you even get your pictures hung up
Old 07-28-2008, 02:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J
before there is any chance of cranking the old gas into the dry bowls.
the bowls are probable gummed up.The needle seats are probable stuck too.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:51 PM
1922 Ford Model T

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J
Coincence I was just reading all the posts to see if it had new gas...

I think the spark was Ok enough to start...even if he drained the tank, there may have been enough old gas in the line & pump to screw it up.

I usually feed the motor with a small gas tank I have. (unhook the main gas line from the tank to the pump, also) That eliminates the pump, tank & old gas. Before hooking up the small tank, I use a funnel to feed gas into the flex line that feeds the fuel rail, before there is any chance of cranking the old gas into the dry bowls. Then I check the accelerator squirters, check for stuck needles (overflowing fuel), THEN give it a go.

I do use carb cleaner to fire some oldies; sometimes it helps if the compression is down because of slight rust on the valve seats....or if the cranking speed is low. I try to have a Halon fire extinguisher and damp bath towel nearby...especially with cammed up motors. My Dart likes being on fire

Also, roll the car outside. No sense in burning down your new house before you even get your pictures hung up
Ok first thing i need to do is to get new gas in the car, then install a new Cap & Rotor, cables & plugs and take it from there.

PS: I do keep a fire extinguisher nearby when i work on it actually have two near by

Talk about burning down the garage almost did that already with a go kart my son had.

Quote:
the bowls are probable gummed up.The needle seats are probable stuck too.
Shouldn't it a least attempt to start if the bowls are gummed up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J
I kind of figured you might be new to this, so that's why I thought there might be some hope in fixing the HEI without removing it. No sense in getting in too deep right now.

Is there any local friend that know a little about troubleshooting those HEI's? Might be something simple. you said you had some spark, so I would not give up yet.
Yeah i appreciate all the responses i'm receiving. Yeah I am new, i can do the basics but as far as rebuilding this new to me. As far as friend i just moved down here and all my friends are not mechanically inclined (just like me )
and i'm not giving up yet.

Last edited by BlackScorpion; 07-28-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

Tunnel rams can make you pull your hair out sometimes.I would put it together,Make sure you have good fire,Dump a little gas into the carb,In try it,See if it pop's over.Be careful not to start a fire.Save the starting fluid for your diesel engine.Not your gas motor.That's just me.Use good gas.If it pops over then clean out all old gas in give it a try.But I'm sure you will have to go into your cabs,After letting them sit up for 4yrs.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:59 PM
1922 Ford Model T

Last photo:

Quote:
Tunnel rams can make you pull your hair out sometimes.I would put it together,Make sure you have good fire,Dump a little gas into the carb,In try it,See if it pop's over.Be careful not to start a fire.Save the starting fluid for your diesel engine.Not your gas motor.That's just me.Use good gas.If it pops over then clean out all old gas in give it a try.But I'm sure you will have to go into your cabs,After letting them sit up for 4yrs.
Will do, i'll let ya know how i make out.

Frank

07/31/08 - Sorry guys, been working the late shift this week and have been unable to get any work done on the car, I'll be going on vacation for 2 weeks and when i get back i'm going to start working on the car again.

Last edited by BlackScorpion; 07-31-2008 at 02:59 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.