Need help Identifying 327 & Double Hump Heads & Holly - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 10:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need help Identifying 327 & Double Hump Heads & Holly

I just bought a 63 Chevy II and here is what I was told, "It has a 327 from a 64 Vet, 4 bolt main, and it has double hump heads, with a Holley double pumper". I plan to start off by putting a cam in this motor and need to be sure of what I have. First off, I doubt this motor is a 4 bolt main if it is a 1964, 327. I do not believe any of the 327's from 64 were 4 bolts.

So here is the numbers I have so far and am hoping someone can tell me what I bought. The front of the heads does have a double hump shaped casting stamp on the front, and no accessory holes in the front of the head. From what I have read, I assume these are the tell tale signs of a double hump head. But the number stamped does not match what I have found on this site. It is only a 4 digit number, 8957. Anyone know what these heads are?

I have found a number stamped in the block on the passenger side, front of the motor just below the head. The number is FI027HC. Is this a 1964 327? Any help here would be appreciated.

The carb is indeed a Holley double pumper on a Wiland high rise. The number on the high rise is 7546. I found 2 numbers on the Holley, one is in the casting, P80 and the other looks like a part number in ink on the lower body of the carb, 11585A Anybody know what size carb this is and if the intake is a good match?

Well, I hope someone can help, the cruising season is coming quickly to an end here in Wisconsin and I would like to select the correct cam for this unit and get going before it snows. Or if the motor and heads are not worth building, now is the time to find that out. Thanks in advance for your help. 63ChevyII

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Look on the airhorm of the Holley. That is the choke area at the top of the carb. You can find the Holley list number there.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Re: Need help Identifying 327 & Double Hump Heads & Holly

Quote:
Originally posted by 63ChevyII
I do not believe any of the 327's from 64 were 4 bolts.

I have found a number stamped in the block on the passenger side, front of the motor just below the head. The number is FI027HC. Is this a 1964 327? Any help here would be appreciated.

The RPO code HC is listed as a 327 275 horsepower engine made from 1965 to 1968....in front of a PowerGlide in a full size Chevrolet....OR a 1969 350 with a manual shift.

No help on the heads.that number does not come up on my listing. The Holley either...........

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 09-07-2004, 07:05 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

Welcome to the club. It seems anyone selling a 327 found it in a Corvette! At least yours is a 327.

A good site for casting research is Mortec.com.

There should be a date code back behind the distributor, near where the bellhousing bolts up. If the code is before '68, you have a small journal block.

Was that head number found under the valve cover? It should be cast, not stamped, into the head between a couple of the rockers and be about 7 digits long.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:22 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

We have been down the road of "4 bolt main" 327 blocks in many previous threads. None were known to exist in automobiles. Can not speak for trucks. Next, the number you need on the heads are cast into it, not stamped and it will be under the valve cover in the rocker valley. The number will be 7 digits if there are no bolt holes in the front.. Does the block have the Chevy II recessed oil filter boss? If so, it is not a Vette block.

Trees
Old 09-07-2004, 10:02 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info so far, Yes, good news that it is a 327, it does not appear to have a recessed oil filter boss, there is a 1/2" thick steel ring that sticks out of the block casting that the filter meets. I think that is what you are talking about. So was that unique to the vet blocks?

I will have to wait till next week to get that casting number off the head, I just picked the car up last Friday and I am on vacation this week so I plan to drive it this week as is, and plan to pull it apart next week, put in the cam and a trans kit.

I am not brand new to this just been away from it for about 30 years, you know, kids, collage....

So, any suggestions on cam selection? I assume the buckets and rods are stock. Do I have to change the lifters, springs, rockers, push rods? Will the cam come with complete step by step instructions? What about the trans kit? B&M was the only game in town 30 years ago, is that still the way to go? {T-350} Thanks again in advance for the help. 63ChevyII
Old 09-07-2004, 10:21 AM

heads

as stated the #s are the best way to id but those particular heads will not only be lacking bolt holes in the front for accessories, but will also have a depression looking somewhat like a trapezoid with 2 camel humps on the top of it in the front.
sorry for the lame description, I just can't think of a better one.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:46 PM

the number will be or be similar to
3782461X
the last 3 digits is what you want
Old 09-07-2004, 03:27 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

There were no 327 4 bolt blocks.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:46 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

63, you probably have a 63 Chevy II 327 block because of the different oil filter flange and you will need it. The block is the same as for any of the pre 68 327 blocks, regardless of what vehicle it came in (except the Chevy II) and what horsepower rating. The increased horsepower on these motors was just plain old hotrodding going on at the factory level. They got the increases with better heads, stronger cams and improved valve train, bigger valves, better exhaust manifolds, better intake manifolds and bigger/better carbs. When you get the motor torn down, tell us what you have, numbers wise and we can give you some pointers on which way to go.

Trees

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.