Need help installing a BOP adaptor plate.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need help installing a BOP adaptor plate....

Just bought a powerglide trans. Currently running 200-4r transmission on my grand national.

What all do I need to convert over to glide? Just the BOP adapter plate? how will that effect spacing on the converter? Are the output splines for the drive shaft the same? The glide has a standard turbo input shaft. so I assume I can use any turbo series converter. Will the flywheel converter bolt holes line up?

Thanks in advance...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 10:48 AM

Saw your last posting on your other thread. God I hope you did'nt buy the cast iron Powerglide. I'm going to guess it's not cast iron, but aluminum. If so, your flexplate for the 200R4 should work, especially since it looks like you're going to be using a Turbo-Hydramatic converter in the Glide. The adapter "plate" goes on, so the COUNTERSUNK bolts go through it into the engine. Then, the trans bolts to the adapter. Some of the mounting bolts for the engine to trans may even line up, at least the lower ones close to the alignment dowels. You MAY have to space the converter back from the flexplate, depending on how thick the adapter is. "Seat" the converter in the trans/pump and pull it back 3/16 of an inch. With some adapters you get a converter centering sleeve that extends the centering bung on the converter. Now, how much space is there between the flexplate and the converter tabs? Space up that distance. Your slip yoke splines should be the same as your 200R4, unless you wound up with a course output spline Powerglide, then you'll have to swap yokes. Lenth should be the "same", as long as you've got a 28" long Glide. The trans crossmember may need to be moved, as the trans mount location is different between your two transmissions. There is a company, I forget the name, that makes conversions for shifters to adapt them to different transmissions; someone will post the name. Wire up the trans brake. That should be all there is.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If you are making any kind of decent power, I'd pitch the adapter plate and just get a Super Bell or equivalent bellhousing for the PG. You cut off the PG bellhousing and the new bellhousing bolts on to the pump bolts. The Super Bells come with both Chevy and BOP bolt patterns.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

I ended up buying the glide and it was alum. Looks to be really nice, and take care of. I saw the car it was taken out of and it was very nice. Looked the part of a 10 second car with the 12 point cage and nitrous plates on a alum headed SBC. I'll take it to a friend of mine to look it over before installing.

Not making much power (500whp) and it's in a very light car at 2650 with the older heavy trans.

Buddy with a 9 second buick motor in a toyota truck is using a speedway adapter plate with no issues. So I'm sure strength isn't an issue.

Thanks All!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.