Need Help Installing Side Lexan Windows 79 Camaro - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2006, 12:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need Help Installing Side Lexan Windows 79 Camaro

lookling for pictures or ideas on installing lexan in the doors of a 79 camaro.
all pics i have found only shows the outside of the door . does the weather strip need to stay on or not . car will see very limted street use .
thanks steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2006, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

I have no idea how to install lexan on your door but we'll bump this back up to the top and hopefully someone experienced will chime in and answer. My guess would be to keep the weatherstrips in place. Will the window be functional (roll down?) that could make is complicated with the curved glass. Can lexan be curved? Could it be clamped to the original glass maybe and heated to get it to curve? Now I'm curious... TTT
Old 03-27-2006, 07:27 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

You won't be able to make lexan windows operable. Typical lexan installed in race cars is done with no regulators anyways (to much weight).

Since you have no door posts (only on sedans, not a coupe like yours) there are no window tracks to follow.

To make INOPERABLE lexan side windows in a Camaro, you need to trace out the shape of the glass, cut it, and then build a support frame from 5/16" x.053" wall tubing. You will need to weld tabs on to the tube, which you will drill thru (or tap). You will weld the frame you made, to the inner door panel. You MAY need an extra center brace, due to glass size. Drill the lexan for the mounting holes and fasten to the frame you welded to the door.
There are frame kits available for around $100.00. Personally, I'd use brake line and some pieces of 1/8" steel for the tabs. All in, all done, around $20.00. You will want mar resistant (MR) Lexan. DO NOT use plexiglass. It breaks, and that the LAST thing you want when running down the road or track!
Old 03-27-2006, 08:27 AM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

I put lexan windows in my ford truck after it was chopped,just cut the pieces and swapped them in place of the original glass.
I left the outer lower window seal off so it wouldn't scratch the lexan everytime the window was open or closed.
They work just fine in my truck,but if your car has no tracks to guide them,not sure if it would work for you.
Maybe It can be molded with heat to the same curvature of the original window?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.