Need help on leaking crank seal sbc 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 03:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need help on leaking crank seal sbc 350

Hello guys well I never seem to have any good luck with my new 350 sbc build and I stated before that I had problems with the oil pump fluctuating and such well engine was taken out and a new oil pump put in and everything was resealed up with new seals and I had to get a new rear main seal housing. Well the crank seal leaked before I resealed everything and when my dad took the timing cover off it seemed that it broke inside but hard to explain. He put a dab of grease on it so it would not have a dry start. Ok every seal was replaced with all new ones including the crank seal. All was put together two weeks ago and motor was installed last monday and now the stupid crank seal is wanting to leak again. I used an different brand of cranks seal and it was installed correctly. My dad has built hundreds of motors over the years and he knows what he is doing and all the tricks of the trade. Well I am using a summit oem replacement harmonic balancer made of nodular iron and has bonded elastomer rings on it. The timing cover I am using is a summit aluminum one piece cover. Its the same aluminum cover that is old under other brand names as well. So what do I look for as the reason its leaking again. I have the same cover but adifferent balancer on my other truck and it has never leaked there period. I don't want to have to take all the stuff off again and reseal to only leak again. I don't know what to do from here. Has anyone else experienced the same problem like I am with the crank seal leaking after each time you replace it.
Thanks
Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Make sure that the spring is still around the seal lip befor you install the cover on the engine. Another place I have ran into seal leaks is around the O.D oth the seal. I usually paint the O.D with permatex aviation sealant befor installing the seal into the bore, and also pack the backside of the seal (between the seal rubber/spring area and the seal metal body) with a good NLGI #2 grease. This will pevent the spring from popping off upon driving the seal in, and under engine vibrations.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

Hello thanks for the help. If I have to take it out again I will try that.
Eric

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.