need help with my 454 build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 10:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

need help with my 454 build

hey guys, new here and figured you guys might be able to help me out, might as well start off with my project, i have a 81 chevy pickup that i want to put some horsepower in, its just a 2 wheel drive short box, problem is i can't make up my mind in which direction to go, right now i have a supercharged 454 with a b&m 174 blower on propane, it works well but i want to put that motor back in my 4x4, so modifying that is out of the question lol.

i currently have a brand new weiand 144 series and i have a 400 sb sitting in my shop but i dont think that will make enough horse to make me happy, what i want is nice daily driver that makes around 600 to 700 horse and runs smooth... so i came across a couple of new garrett turbos from a friend that i can get for $1500 for the pair and run for $1200 a piece. my friend with the turbos has been racing for a long time and said they will spool up around 2200 rpm on a 454, and he said if i want to make power i should ditch the propane which i dont have a problem with, i have an extra 454 kicking around and i can easily find a set of large oval port heads so this is one option.

i was also thinking about buying a 671 blower for the 454 but then again i'm not sure what i could get for horsepower out of it and i don't want a really loud whine sound from the blower, i haven't heard a 671 in person before so i don't no exactly how loud they are. and i will take my truck when its done to the dyno in town to see exactly what the numbers are

and well last of all i was thinking about running an all engine 454 which i have a steel crank for to start, but then again i dont want nothing all cam'ed up that doesn't idle and i want it to make power right now. and of course its about making horewpower for the right price, decent fuel mileage would be nice but you can't have everything...

so basically have to make up my mind so i can start building, so what do you think is the right combination... thanks for the help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 09:07 AM
never too fast

Last photo:

my opinion man is to go with th 671 blowwer orthe turbo but turbos arent anything special on a truck i just had that and there gas hogs so probably the blower would be the best for that big block
Old 12-07-2009, 06:02 PM

i was just thinking that the twin turbos would run kinda nice on the street and you dont see a twin turboed big block in a truck up where i live. and i want to be my daily driver so it would see some cold weather too so i thought the turbos might be better
Old 12-08-2009, 10:48 AM
never too fast

Last photo:

yeah that would nbe very unique
Old 12-08-2009, 06:14 PM

and for the price of buying a 671 blower; i'm sure the cost would be around the same overall to set up the turbos
Old 12-08-2009, 08:39 PM
never too fast

Last photo:

yeah so for a evry day driver turbo for sure
Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 AM

Last photo:

Turbo's would be easy and idle smooth and give you the HP you want. You can blow through the propane mixers (using Impco?) and you can get Mixer hats to easily hook the pipes up to. You would need 2 mixers for the hp you want but they make a Y adapter to mount 2 on a standard 4 bbl intake. Intercooled? just use the best exhaust valves you can get and watch your exhaust temps!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:19 AM

thanks for the advice, i would really like to do twin turbos with propane, i do have 3 mixers i think, 1 ohg and 2 impcos, however i heard ohgs are better for turbocharging but some people might argue that, and i'll put a air to air intercooler in aswell, i've been running propane on all my trucks for over 4 years and i never have any issues so i would like to keep running it. i want to run about 10 pounds of boost so i'll probably have to go to forged pistions and a decent set of rods, and i can get my hands on a good steel crank right now, and for a intake there is a dual carb setup one i'm looking at, and for heads just an older set of large oval ports, so i think i can piece together a pretty good motor
Old 12-09-2009, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

I don't know so much about advice? sounds like you know what to do already!
Old 12-09-2009, 04:22 PM

well i've been thinking about this build for quite sometime now and spend alot of time researching it, i just haven't played around with turbos yet, and i have to fab up some manifolds which i would just rather buy, and some guys here where i live have done propane with turbos but no one has ran two on a bbc

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.