need help on my first total rebuild - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2003, 03:59 PM
Hellbilly Hotrods

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

need help on my first total rebuild

ok, here goes:
i got a little bored, and started tearing into the duster. i am now completely overwhelmed by all that has to be done, and im getting a little discouraged. i need advie on how to keep it going and keep my spirits up about the project. pleasem help.
also, if you guys could, i need some pictures. specifically of the core support (mine is angled towards the firewall at the top) and of the area behind the grille so i can see what needs painted where and how.
thanks, guys. youre always valuable in my quest to become a better hot rodder.
mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2003, 06:24 PM

Last photo:

break it down into groups of small projects. Do one at a time and don't start on another till the one you are doing is finished. Then when you complete on small project you will feel like you have accomplished somethig and you can move onto a new project. Also if you save buying all the fance bits like chrome and wheels till the end, you will have something to look forward to.

This is how i'm going about my project anyway.

Richard
Old 06-16-2003, 09:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

You have to have a picture in your head of what you are working toward. Keep it in focus, and you will not loose site of the end.

Chris
Old 06-16-2003, 11:53 PM

don't watch TV!!!

i'm in a similar situation. i've got two cars, a driver and a project. well that's how it was, now i have a project (that used to be a driver) and a sculpture (that used to be a project)...

the authorities are the ones that made me start work on the driver (rather than boredom in your case) but it means now that i'm a little less enthused about doing it than i should be. what i try to remember is, how it looks now is a BAD as it will ever be. i've got paint stripped off on a lot of it. there are no hanging panels on it whatsoever, there's dust and crap all over it, it looks terrible!

but everything i do from now on makes it look better. i've almost finished replacing every spot of rust on it (and there were a few!!!) what i'm going to do now is beat, fill and block each panel, and then prime. by doing it a panel at a time, starting with the worst one, i'll be able to watch the car go from crappy, bare and stripped to nice, flat, grey primer. going stage by stage helps as you can pat yourself on the back each time you finish a task...

and as has been suggested, you HAVE to have a picture in your mind of your completed ride, you sitting in it, dropping a monster burnout! ... just kidding, but seriously, you always have to know what you want at the end, and the picture in your head can motivate you. it doesn't matter if the picture slowly evolves as you have new ideas, so long as you have that goal in your head that helps drive you along as you strip paint... WHICH IS THE WORST TASK IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!! AAAAAAAARRRGGGHHH!*

*never again.... until the next time. it's all worth it in the end.

good luck. but you won't need it. just don't watch TV... what a waste of time THAT is...
Old 06-18-2003, 07:34 AM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

Grouping into smaller sections is a great idea- just work on one area- taking photos along the way- when complete- look back at the photos and be proud of the accomplishment. Then go on to the next part. As stated, have an idea, a photo of a comparable car, or drawings of your dream to go by... then work toward the goals one at a time. Organize- tools, parts, work needed, etc.- this helps the most. When you are organized it seems the work does itself... I also listen to music- for me the heavier the better gets the lead outta my backside and I go to work!!! (better go now!!)
Old 06-18-2003, 08:22 PM
Hellbilly Hotrods

Last photo:

thanks fer the encouragement and advice, guys.
i guess whats really discouraging is that theres so much left to do, and the paint stripping method im using takes forever.
also, the fact that theres a ot of surface rust on some of the panels is discouraging. my buddy that does body work said to "grind the hell out of it with a wire wheel, and then etching prime over it. the high build primer will cover it up." it looks like hell under the fresh primer, though. kinda discouraging.
as far as the picture goes, i want a clean, nice driver. but then i keep trying to strive for show car perfection, and my skills arent quite show car perfection skills. so i get discouraged.
anyway, im rambling, i think.
thanks fer the support. ill be asking plebty of questions.
mike
Old 06-18-2003, 09:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

I think everyone here can relate to your discouragment. It is hard not to get that way at the beginning sometimes. If you take it on a little at a time, and set goals, you will see it come together sooner than you think.

As for the stripping method, I would invest in an electric orbital sander. I have a craftsman elentric sander and it was a life saver. Most of the pnuematic units take a very large compressor to run, and the electric ones work just as good. Buy you a stack of 80 grit sanding disk, and go to town. You can strip the entire car in a weekend or two. I promise you will not regret the purchase. It is also good as a "Bondo Hog" with some 40 grit. You can use it to do the preliminary shaping after the first coat of filler, and then finish with blocks.

Chris
Old 06-19-2003, 05:09 PM
Hellbilly Hotrods

Last photo:

i have an orbital, but hadnt thought of using it.
you suggest 80 grit? will it work faster than the wire wheel/4 inch grinder combo? if so, i may just have to invest in some sand paper.....
any suggestions on painting? im doing jambs and everything. i was thinking about painting the jabs, window channels, insides of fenders, etc, and then reassembling the car and painting the rest. good idea, or bad idea?
also, what should i do with surface rust? ive been wire wheeling the crap outta it, and the priming right ver top. is that right or wrong?
i need basic instruction. im kinda like a blind man in a batting cage: swinging in the dark. please shed some light.
mike
Old 06-19-2003, 09:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

The 80 grit will be three times faster than a wheel, and it will not add all the heat. You can actually warp the sheet metal if you get it too hot when trying to remove the paint. You should be okay with the rust and the wire brush. That is what I do also. When you get it stripped, I would start with a coat of epoxy or self etching primer. The epoxy will seal the metal and prevent rust while you are working on it. Then do your body work and coat it all with a high build primer and block sand it out. If you have not ever done any body work, I would start on a junk fender, and get a book on basic body work. There are many available. There are alot of pit falls that you can avoid by a little bit of reading.

Chris
Old 06-22-2003, 01:34 AM
Hellbilly Hotrods

Last photo:

thanks, chris.
mike

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.