Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - need help with numbers
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 11:52 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

need help with numbers

I recently purchased a 350 engine origionally run in a 72 Z28. The casting numbers identify the engine as an LT1 350/255hp (CKT/3970010).
I purchased the engine from a guy who had installed it in a 65 GTO/4-speed. I heard the engine run and it had a somewhat strong lope at idle and run strong. He removed the engine to go back stock 389 tri-power. I plan to install the 350 in my 55 gasser project car after a few more modifications.

My question regards the heads, intake and bellhousing.

1. According to my research, the factory intake should be numbered as 3959594 with a Holley carb. What it has looks like an aluminum finned intake with cast numbers 14057053/GM CFM and the carb is a Rochester 4-bbl. It doesn't appear to be hi-rise. Any ideas what I have?

2. Regarding the heads, where do I find the casting numbers? I find none on the outside casing. It has straight plugs (not slanted).

3. Last is the bellhousing..the casting number is 3815891/B225/GM6. I'm not sure this is the origional housing since I cannot find this number anywhere doing a search. With all the engine swaps, not sure what I have. Did get a flywheel, starter and clutch fork. Clutch wear on flywheel measures 11". Any ideas on this one?

Before I start adding to the engine and drivetrain, I would like to know that the parts fit what I think I have. Need clutch/pressure plate, SD Trans and carb.(among other things). Would like to know also that the heads are not stock since I've heard the compression is poor on the stock heads for this model. Haven't remove the valve covers yet to determine tappets installed.

Thanks for any help or ideas.