Hot Rod Forum banner

Need help painting the truck

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  67Elcamino 
#1 ·
My project is coming along nice but i need some advice.
This is how far i am.
Hotrods Customs and USA Freaks

As I am in the process of painting my truck but I am running in to some questions.

The truck will be painted in two tone like this.

Test panel

I can not make up my mind on how to paint the inside of the cab and doors.
Should I do that two tone also? But I want the dash to be the dark brown metallic, because I don't want that to be the lighter color.
I am planning on doing the interior in a creme leather.

Another thing is, i was planning on painting the inside of the cab and doors first. After that put the doors in the cab and paint the outside at once.
The problem with this is, I have no place on the rocker to tape off between in and outside paint.
A few pics of the door jambs, and the rocker.

It would be possible to leave the doors out of the cab and paint the inside and outside in one go. I could place the doors on stands just behind the cab to make sure i paint the cab and the doors the same way.

I hope someone can help me in the right direction.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would paint it separately (like always). Make the 2 tone go through the jambs. Dash would be the light color. You are cutting the 2 tone off under the body line, so no need to put the doors on before 2 toning.

I was never one who liked painting jambs first and then the rest later. Leaves tape edges if not done perfectly. You have a simple 2 tone. Could paint the cab and then doors at a later time too.

#3 ·
Thanks, i Also thought it would be doable to paint the doors outside the cab.
Bet because the lower part is dark brown metallic I do want to spay them with the cab. I am just a beginning painter and want to eliminate a chance of difference in color.

I made up my mind and will spray the whole interior in the dark brown.

Question remains, where to draw the line between inside and out.

#4 ·
There re many choices ..IMO I like all the metal to be the darkest body color and when the carpet and leather is installed lighter color it gives a line to break at with a contrasting color and a contrasting color for trim ..I changed ,mine 3 times before I got it like=e I wanted it .
Here are a couple of examples,,not saying you should do this ,just a example.:D

Attachments

#5 ·
In my opinion, I would paint the dash the darker color. Some say that a light color dash produces sun glare as well.

Im having a similar issue with painting a two tone candy color with two tone door jambs as well. Since you cannot paint candy panels separately Im going to have to paint jamps, hand doors back on car, use a 3m soft foam masking tape to avoid getting overspray into the already painted jambs.

As far as tape edges, I scuffed and re cleared area in order to eliminate the tape edge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.