Hot Rod Forum banner

need help picking a cam...all the #'s are confusing

976 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  2wld4u 
#1 ·
I have a 454 30 over bieng done up but i dont know anything about cams
what i want is a good sounding...kinda like the newer mustangs or the newer gto's...i was told to get lower duration... and a 600+lift... Any suggestions would be great . TY you all for ur time

#2 ·
You need to give more information, what vehicle, trans, gear ration, what are your expectations h.p. wise. What will the car be used for, daily driver? What other mods have been made to the motor, c.r.? What heads? Intake system? Exhaust?

#4 ·
With your combo I would defenitely go shorter duration, but I also wouldn't go .600" lift. I'd stick with something around 280-285 duration, and .530 lift.
The Crane 103072 would be a great choice for your combo if you want a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft. Or get the Summit marked version for less money, but the same cam. SUM-K03072.

#5 ·
Id go with something around 230@.050 on the intake side with a 112* lobe sep and ofcourse as much lift as possible...IMHO if you can adjust valves id go with a solid flat tappet as they perform better than a hdy flat tappet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.