Hot Rod Forum banner

Need help repairing paint-self inflicted damage

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  tech69 
#1 ·
I have stupidly created this paint damage on my (slightly OT) car. I am hoping the mods will allow this thread to remain for a bit since the information might be needed later on someone else’s hotrod.
There is basically paint and a metal scratch damage in the tail piece and deep scratches and a very small ding on the quarter. I have limited body and paint skills but would like to try to repair this myself. There is a local professional auto body/paint supply store nearby which can “shoot” the paint and modify the paint code and make me a rattle can of the right color.
Any tips/video links, etc. on removing the scratches, filling the scratches and refinishing the tail piece would be appreciated. I am, slightly, encouraged that the most severe damage in limited to the tail piece and there are natural breaks at the top crease and seam for taping if needed. Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That quarter extension is a cast piece. Little or no straightening is possible on that. If you use it, bondo will be thick there. If you get new, it is not likely to fit well. Just FYI on that.

That looks to be a metallic color. I do not recommend the rattle can approach, it will most likely be quite visible even if the color is close, where the blend-out of the color happens. A real spray gun and good technique are the way to an invisible repair, and clear coating a much larger area after color is applied is part of that. Where to break the paint edge is optional depending on the desired result.

It really looks like a feather and fill type repair from here, not much if any hammering and such required. Fire away if you have any more specific questions, and be patient until the guys have all had a chance to swing through here and have a look.

#3 ·
I can vouch for the aftermarket extensions not fitting well. If you want a clean extension, with no filler, take the time to find a nice original.
I have had mild success with those by heating with a soft flame on a hand held propane torch, just hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch and then pushing, NOT pounding, on the crease. For me, that would require removal and having a helper hold it on a piece of firm wood as a backer. It will never be perfect after this, just need less filler, so again, it's all in how you want the repair to turn out.

I think I see a stretch at the top of the Z crease that will need some shrinking/flattening before filling.

#4 ·
extra emphasis on not pounding. They can crack and the cracks might be hard to see. With them old cars a quarter paint job is two quarters and rocker most of the time cause there's no breaking point. Other than the qtr extension, it looks like there's dings in the scratch as well. As said, Feather and fill. If you push that extension out too far you can file a little of it away as it's usually pretty thick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.