need help selecting parts and help planning a chevrolet 383 stroker buildup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2005, 02:16 PM
goth_rod87

Wiki Edits: 0

need help selecting parts and help planning a chevrolet 383 stroker buildup

hi all,
im posting to get help with an engine buildup im planning..Im wanting to build a 383 stroker for a third gen camaro.I have a basic understanding of what the motor is exactly but Im not sure how to build it exactly.I know that a 383 stroker is pretty much a 350 with a 400 crank in it....any help with this would be extremly appreciated...my other questions is what parts to be on the lookout for because i have an extremly small budget to work with and would like to buy used parts as much as possible...thanks,
Brandon

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 03:06 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

build a 350. It will be cheaper, make nearly the same power and NO External Balancing!
Old 02-21-2005, 03:19 PM
goth_rod87

if i build a 350 for my third gen ..what block would be the best to use? for instance what year and model of car would you recomend for the swap.I dont want fuel injection as im trying to keep this kinda old school and this car is gonna be a daily driver that i might once in a while wind out..thanks
Old 02-21-2005, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

the blocks with the casting # 3970010 tend to be good blocks and many are four bolt mains. Some are even high nickle content... but basically any 350 block will work.

Find a $100 builder at the salvage that is guaranteed against cracks and spun bearings. If you get lucky you might even find a 96-98 Vortec 350 from a truck for $200-250. Although not exactly "old school" they are very similar in looks, have the late model one piece rear main seal, are tapped for mechanical fuel pump, have PM rods and a factory windage tray not to mention great heads.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

NXS -You really think you make the same power? I would say the 383 would make much more TQ and slightly more HP given nearly same parts such as heads/valve size and even cam. In most street cars that have some steel in them more TQ is a good thing. As for cost a 383 vs a 350 kit is nearly the same price. Now If he buys a 350 and just uses it then of course it will be cheaper. However, if he he starts with just a block and has to buy all the parts what would not make a 383 a good idea? Almost all good 383 are made for int. bal.

Goth- Any of the 350 blocks will work for you.If your lucky you can get a later model block with a roler cam setup and be able to use a rolelr cam. More then likely though you will find an older block and just use a hyd. which is just fine. A 383 eats up a little more cam then a 350 so talk to your cam. company and see what they suggest for your set up. All in all the same top parts go on the intake is the same (go with dual plane--stock one for carb will work fine for now--) The carb will be a little bigger for a 383 nothing bigger then 750 will be needed(look to the old qjets--smaller carbs will work but you won't be able to spin it as high). Talk to a machine shop and see what they have to say about blocks and pricing on maybe putting together the bottom end for you.

Chris

Last edited by strikingthematch; 02-21-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

He's on a budget. Probably no aftermarket so no internal balance 383 for him.

Nearly as much power VS slightly more power. 'Bout the same. As far as Tq, that's another story. The longer stroke will give more leverage(like a breaker bar). But "power" is Horse power in my book and Tq is torque!
Old 02-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

True about the power is power that I agree with and of course the longer stroke makes more TQ. In my thinking though if your buying a kit. Now I know he is on a buget so stock parts would come in play there but he has to think about machine shop cost to get them in order and such. Some of these rebuild kits have gottne so cheap in the range of most people and a 383 kit is normally very close to that of a 350.

If it was me I would save my money now doing a full engine build on an exremely tight budget is not the best thing. It tends to make people cut corner that they later wish they had never done. Thats why I suggested a kit he may have to save but the pay off is there. You get a very sound engine and can pick just how you want the engine to be. In all it's up to him.
Chris
Old 02-21-2005, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

Right on. He did ask for a 383.
So he'll need a 350ci block, a 400 sbc crank, a sbc 400 balancer, a 400 sbc flexplate/flywheel, 350ci rods and 383 pistons.

They will need to be acquired then taken to the machine shop for balancing($150-300 depending).

An internally balanced kit is 10 times better.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:28 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

I dont know how much money you have to spend, but here is a decient build up with fairly strong parts that will make around 400 hp and 430-450 tq.

Here is the short block, it's the first one in the list. It includes the cam, balancer, flywheel, and timing set, assembeled for $1549. I am sure you can have them use whatever piston you would need in order to get the compression you would want. As far as the cam goes, I would go with the comp XE274H.

http://www.revolutionaryperformance.com/short%20blocks.htm

As far as the heads and intake, I would get this kit from scoggin dickey for $900

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/2172/products/108807/Upgraded-Vortec-Head-Kit-Edelbrock-Performer-RPM.htm

all you would need from here is a carb, oil pan, and push rods.
Carb: holley 650 $350
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2303&prmenbr=361

oil pan and push rods wont be over $200, so for around $3000 you could have a 400 hp 383 with all new or reconditioned parts.

Adam
Old 02-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Here is a better kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46098&item=7954541 649&rd=1
Old 02-21-2005, 06:08 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

NXS, would you enlighten me on why an internally balanced motor is 10 time better than externally balanced. After all, balanced is balanced. You might also explain why most late model stuff is going with external balance. My externally balanced, blue printed and balanced 383 is the smoothest motor I have owned.

Trees
Old 02-21-2005, 06:10 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

Biuld a 400

Only a couple hundred more to build.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

Haven't we been through that before? Most people can't just walk out and get a 400 block anymore not around here at least. A 350 is about the easiest thing to find and a 383 is one of the better things you can make out of them. For most people starting out a 350 is just what the doc. ordered and to spice up your life the 383 is the little pill.

I think the int. bal. as always been better because the older ext. where not up to par with what we would call bal. today. More then likely a good bal. job int. or ext. will give you a very smooth engine and won't wear the main bearings like some of the older ext. used to.

Chris
Old 02-21-2005, 09:26 PM
goth_rod87

thanks for all the feedback..I do have a new question tho...what would yall recomend the four bolt block or the two bolt block for my engine? in my mind the four bolt might be abit stronger but would it matter? thanks again
Old 02-21-2005, 11:46 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

400 sbs

Quote:
Most people can't just walk out and get a 400 block anymore not around here at least.
Since one of you live in SC and the other Pa. What do you mean around here? I live in a town of 60,000 people and bought 2 last year.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.