Hot Rod Forum banner

Need Help Setting Up Mustang II Power Steering

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Phat 
#1 ·
I have a 1954 Ford F-100 That someone has put a Mustang II Front end on, but they didn't put the power steering on it. It has the rack and pinion steering already put on. I was just needing to know what do i have to do to add power steering to what i have already, Thanks for any help you give

#2 ·
You will need
1) power rack and pinion
2) Power steering pump
3) steering pump bracket
4) pulley.. maybe 2 pullies, one for the pump and one a double groove for the crank pulley
5) belt
6) pump to rack hoses
7) depends on the pump you use, if you use a GM pump you'll have to put in a power steering value, to get the pressure down

#5 ·
You will want to use a bird rack not a pinto.(slower) Get the valve out of plymouth horizin pump. Its a gm pump but has a diff pressure setting for the rack on those little cars. The adjustable valves dont work. They dont turn the pressure down just slow the transition. I agree stick with the manual if it drives good. Have some pretty big cars with amnual racks. If you go power you will also want to put a bunch of caster in it also...forget the stock specs..car will be real touchy on the highway. They need upwards of 5-7 degrees to make em drive good. less with manaul cause it will be a bear to park with a lot of caster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.