Hot Rod Forum banner

need help with some head info

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  68NovaSS 
#1 ·
Ok I have a 1990 chevy 350 the heads are bad ..bent valve exct.. ok I have a 84 chevy 305 and a 98 chevy 350 ..now whitch will be better to use for this and what will be a good cam for a daily driver its a chevy 1/2 ton truck 1990with 700r and 3.73 gears.....thanks guys

#3 ·
IMO, the best approach would be to repair the heads you have. Neither of the pairs you "list" will be a "bolt on" affair, as the intake manifolds are different. If you have the 193 (last three digits of the casting number) heads, the exhaust valves are less than $8 each at an expensive shop. If you have the 191s, maybe $15 each...

Even if one or both of the heads are "cracked" and deemed unusable, you would be better off replacing them with "like" units. For a truck engine, those "winged" intake runners are excellent. BTW, these are REALLY "vortec" heads in the sense they induce "swirl" (or "create a vortex") in the cylinder. What are popularly known as "Vortec" heads really "aren't"... :)- These heads are easy to find and relatively cheap. The 191 casting is the "heavy duty" using hardened seat inserts and large-stem exhaust valves. 193s are the "run of the mill" pickup heads.

If this is a high miles engine (over 150K), I emphatically recommend you at least re-ring the bottom. Often, if heads are replaced n a worn bottom half, *** alters the wear pattern on the rings and they can fail in short order.

Jim

#4 ·
another idea would be to swap out the top end from the 98 350 as well as the computer, or another idea would be to use the 98 heads, buy a vortec intake manifold, and switch the motor from EFI to carburated, but that will take some more money. cheapest fix will be to just have the factory heads fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.