Need help spraying clear (HVLP gun) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2005, 08:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need help spraying clear (HVLP gun)

Ok so I have been getting into painting latley and I went out and got myself a Anest Iwata LPH400 which I love, I spray my primer w/ an old Binks model: 69 suction.

I have been having a real hard time getting a good clear coat to lay down, my base color is real nice and flat but my clear is either very orange peely, or it looks as if it's drying before it hits the surface and it almost resembles sandpaper, or it goes one too heavey which gives most of the surface a nice coat but then runs and leaves pin point air bubble spots here and there....

What settings should I be using to spray the clear...I am using a 4:1 PPG deltron clear and i have fast and medium activator...

any help would be greatly appreciated and if you need any more info please ask.

-Mike-

Oh and I just sprayed one coat on a bumper and it ran in quite a few places should I continue to spray then next coat or two and then wet-sand or do it before I spray the rest????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2005, 09:28 AM

Last journal entry: Ontario Camaro Nationals 2008
Last photo:

I would make sure you have a couple of coats on before sanding out the run. That way you have a lot less chance of sanding through the clear. As for how to make it work I was having much the same problem with the the PPG 2002 and through advice on this board found that holding the gun closer to the car and going a little faster with the pass made a huge improvement. I was putting it on good an wet with the gun 4 to 6 inches from the car.

Ric
Old 05-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Last photo:

You might try laying on that first coat wet, but not as wet as you normally would. Wait a little longer 45 minutes or an hour before applying the subsequent wet coats. This should minimize your runs.

Vince
Old 05-27-2005, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

Ratchet: what air pressure were you running?and how wide was your spray pattern/fan?

also i can't really find a happy medium, it either goes on to heavy or seems like it's drying before it hits...
Old 05-27-2005, 09:52 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Try 40-50 at the gun and 4 "click's" out on the fluid knob.
Use the proper reducer for the temp your shooting at.
If your using the high temp and it's only say 75 then your not flashing off fast enough and that may be part of your run problem.
The opposite will be true if your using Med. temp and it's hot.Flashing off too fast causing the sandpaper effect.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:45 PM

Last journal entry: Ontario Camaro Nationals 2008
Last photo:

I was running exactly 40 lbs at the gun with the trigger fully pulled.
The fan was set to about 6 inches total at 6 inches from my test piece. The fluid knob was turned out 1 and 3/4 turns.

Remember I am no expert. The rest of the guys on this board helped me thru my paint job every step of the way. These settings worked for me but you are using different materials listen to what they more knowledgeable guys on here tell you. Every time i didn't what ever they warned me about happened.

Ric
Old 05-27-2005, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

I just layed down 5 coats of PPG clear Concept on my hood this afternoon and it turned out sweet. This is what I did..... Gun was approx. 6" away, overlapped the passes. Waited 10-15 min between coats (as per the spec sheet). Reducer I used is for temps 65-80. It was actually 75 in the garage. The speed of the stroke is kinda hard to guess. But it was slow 5-6 sec per pass. I am also no expert at all. Just having alot of fun to see what I can acomplish.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:41 PM

Last photo:

The LPH-400 shouldn't need more than 20 psi with the trigger pulled, adjust your fan till it spreads no more then stop. Do you have a 1.4 or 1.3 fluid tip? What clear are you spraying? Adjust the fluid amount for good atomization. If the gun is atomizing the product correctly but you're getting a fuzzy look at the edges (sandpaper look) then your solvent selection is too fast. Bob
Old 05-28-2005, 10:48 PM

I have an Iwata. Forty at the gun is rediculous, you'll have more overspray than product on the car. You want it set to 16 PSI at the tailstock. That's right in the instructions. Your fluid knob should be around 2 turns out as a rough starting point, with the fan pattern set wide. Air valve at the bottom all the way open. I suspect (just a quess) your gun distance is too far, your gun speed is too fast and you compensated by opening the fluid knob and raising pressure.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:07 PM

Last photo:

Yea I knew 40 was way to high...I set it at 15 and messed w/ everything and got it 1/2 decent ...

I'll post pics of the finished product sometime in the next few days...it needed a lot of wet sanding and some spots are not so cool but it's not 1/2 bad you really can't notice the bad spots unless th light is just right or your super close to it...thanks for all the help though...I'm glad I joined this fourm

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.