Hot Rod Forum banner

Need help with suffix codes

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  gmc1990rodder 
#1 ·
This may be a stupid question, but i can't find out any info on my engines suffix codes. I've tried to just google and yahoo the numbers with no luck. And tried to find a site to help find more about my engine with no luck either.. It is a 400ci sbc , casting number is 3951511, and I found out the basics with this but wan to know more, the suffix numbers/codes on the front of the block are T0414CKP and another set is,12S251618.. thanks for any help in advance!!

#6 ·
gmc1990rodder said:
...the suffix numbers/codes on the front of the block are T0414CKP...
CKP - '72 400cid, Impala, 170 HP, RPO LF-6, TH400 w/2-Brl carb.

Maybe someone knows the factory torque rating for it- I have Chevrolet manuals but they're either newer or older than '72. The factory ratings started taking a hit in '71 w/the lower CR, etc. required by the fedgov, and how the power ratings were figured changed from gross to net- which made the '72-up engines look 'weaker'.

Bottom line is it really doesn't matter what it HAD, it can make 400-plus ft/lbs w/relative ease.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.