Need help with switch trannys please - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2003, 08:21 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Need help with switch trannys please

Hi, Ive got a 1984 Z28, it came stock with a 700R4 automatic. I put a 350ci replacing the 305, and also a Th350 (with b&M shift kit). The problem that i have ran into, is after i put the tranny and motor in the car...There is a piece that bolts on the bottom of the tranny, with a peice of uber and 1 bolt going straight down (this goes through the Crossmember), Well with this new tranny the hole in the crossmember and that bolt dont line up, the bolt it about 2-3 inches toward the front of the car to far, Do i need a new crossmember, or could i drill holes and mount the Crossmember foward(car is a unibody so i didnt know) or could i just put a steel plate in there? SOrry if this didnt make sense, just took some exams yesterday, my brain is fried, Thanks all!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2003, 12:59 PM

Last photo:

bump
Old 03-15-2003, 03:58 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

If it`s worth doing it`s worth doing right. Call a tranny shop, they`ll tell you exactly what you need.
Slider in Wa.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:20 PM

Last photo:

stick with the 700' less trouble to fit the car you can adapt 350 into this car but doing it right can cost more than keeping what you started with. unless you good at makes brackets for torq bar for rear end. early vega, monza 250& 350 trans tail housing can be used with some modes makes a toung for trans mount all this isnt emission legal in Texas ck with your state if you plan to run this on the street.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:22 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

You have the right ideal. The TH350 is about 2 3/4" shorter than the 700R4 so you have to move your cross member foreward to receive the tranny mount. You probably need the same type mount that was on the 700 and it should bolt up to the 350. Also, you will need a new drive shaft made up 2 3/4" longer than the one you removed. Make sure your 700 yoke wil fit the 350 (it should) and take your old drive shaft to a drive line company and tell them how much longer you want it and they should make a new one wity your yokes, new ujoints and balanced for less than $100. By the way, your frame just might have the holes drilled to move your cross member if the Th 350 was an option in 84 Cs.

Trees

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.