Need help with transmission install - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2014, 12:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need help with transmission install

Hello People,

Today i dropped the th350 out of my 1968 firebird. I am no installing a 2004r in place. the motor is in the car and since im in a single car garage i cannot take the motor out. I am having trouble lining up the motor with the trans, it seems like the motor is angled downward and the trans is more level on a trans jack. i struggled tonight trying to get the two mated and after an hour i called it a night because it was getting to dark and pretty cold. Any tips on how to get the two lined up and bolted together?

thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 04:52 AM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

Before pulling the trans,you should have supported the rear of your engine with a jack & block of wood.This too will help somewhat in leveling the engine.You will have to get them both to the same angle & perfectly inline w/ ea other.I usually only use the jack to get the trans in close position'then position it & install by hand.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:23 AM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

when installing a different transmission make sure the line up or Dowell pins are all correct. make sure there are not two Dowell pins in the same spot on the engine and trans. the engine can easily be titled with another jack, even a roadside scissor jack will do the job.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:24 AM

Last photo:

also make sure your torque converter is installed correctly
Old 01-02-2014, 06:04 AM

Last journal entry: Still running strong

Push the torque converter towards the trans an turn it at the same time, be sure to have trans fluid in the torque converter also.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:43 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

alignment studs.

I cut the heads off some 3 in long bolts and slot the ends with a hacksaw so a screwdriver will work. Install those into the engine and then you can hang the trans on those and then slide the trans up to the engine and start the regular bolts, then remove your temporary studs.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:46 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I do the stud thing too. Works great. I first round the end with a bench grinder or lathe and give them a bullet shaped end and use nuts. I find them easier to work with then bolts.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:56 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by starin View Post
it seems like the motor is angled downward and the trans is more level on a trans jack.
A real trans jack has the ability to adjust the trans in pitch and roll as well as up and down. If your's doesn't have this, go rent one that does. The first time I ever swapped an AT (in my young and stupid days), I tired with a regular floor jack. Never again. I've since bought the HF trans jack when it was on sale for $149. It works great and makes life MUCH easier.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:02 AM

great, i'll try the long bolt method this weekend and put a jack under the engine as well, wish me luck

thanks
Old 01-02-2014, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

for first few timers it's nice to have a helper.. .. after you do it enough it becomes a breeze, especially on a truck with a body lift
Old 01-02-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
I cut the heads off some 3 in long bolts and slot the ends with a hacksaw so a screwdriver will work. Install those into the engine and then you can hang the trans on those and then slide the trans up to the engine and start the regular bolts, then remove your temporary studs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsongrass1 View Post
I do the stud thing too. Works great. I first round the end with a bench grinder or lathe and give them a bullet shaped end and use nuts. I find them easier to work with then bolts.
I do something similar, but I use Chevrolet exhaust manifold studs installed PERMENENTLY on the engine. I also use the brass nuts and lock washers. Makes lining up, and removing the trans much easier. And now another secret; I also install these studs in the Powerglide transmission cases, when I build one for racing, where the extension housing bolts on. It's EASY to strip those 5 bolt holes in the trans case, and the studs/brass nuts stop that from happening with frequent rebuilding. Butch/junior stocker.
The Following User Says Thank You to junior stocker For This Useful Post:
gearheadslife (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

That's why we don't use power glides anymore. Frequent rebuilding!
Just teasing

Something else you can do, socket head cap screws are lighter in weight and stronger than the same size zinc coated grade 2 bolt and easier to work with in tight areas. Gun drilled studs and nuts for the most benefit in weight reduction
Old 01-22-2014, 10:42 AM

STARIN Just checking, how did you come out on the 200 4r install. I had my brother help me with my 200 4r install and we used a scissors tranny jack.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:02 AM

Hi there, I got the transmission bolted up last weekend, I ended up getting exhaust manifold studs and threading those in just like you guys said, one on each side. then i used nuts on the studs to hold the trans in as i struggle to slide the transmission in. I also had to level the car and the trans jack i was using had a wing nut on each side of the plate the transmission sat on to angle the transmission up a tad. Once i got it lined up the transmission finally mated and i was able to bolt it in and pull the studs out one at a time. this past weekend i was adjusted the tv cable, i got that fairly dialed in except it downshifts at too low an rpm but i think its because of my rear end gearing.

thanks all for the help

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.