Need help tuning my 750 speed demon - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 06:58 PM
One of these days...soon

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need help tuning my 750 speed demon

I have read all the posts on the site and tried everything I could come up with and my motor is still running a little rich, hesitates a bit when revving, is lacking power, and just all of sudden dies for no reason.

It is a 406 sbc, appox. 9.7:1 CR, comp cam XE274, 2400 stall, performer RPM intake, speed demon 750 cfm carb, msd hei distributor, AFR195 heads, th350 tranny, 308 gears in the rear end.

I have the timing at 28 deg advanced no vac. advance, idle is about 1000rpm’s, and all 4 mixture screws are turned out half a turn, the demon instructions indicate that it is best to have the mixture screws turned out 1 to 2 ½ turns, but it would be way to rich if I did that.

Any help would be appreciated.

406chevelle

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

What do you mean by 28o advanced. Is that what you are reading at the balancer with the timing light? Or is that the total timing when it is all in?

If you have 28o initial, your idle will be pretty high. Then you would have to close the throttle blades down a bunch at idle to make up for the highe idle. That would richen everything up and you would only need a 1/2 turn, like you said on the mixture screws.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

timing

What is your intial timing and you total timing??? Let us know that first and we can get started helping you.

Keith
Old 09-07-2004, 05:44 PM
One of these days...soon

Last photo:

Sorry for the slow reply….work, kids, wife….you know the story.

28 degrees is initial timing measured at the balancer with a timing light while idling at 1000rpm's, I don’t know what the total timing is, what RPM should I be checking it at? Doing this with no help so should I just keep turning the idle screw until the timing stops advancing?

406chevelle
Old 09-07-2004, 05:51 PM

Last photo:

Disconnect the vacuum advance and check it again. If it is still at 28o that is way too high.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:03 PM
One of these days...soon

Last photo:

thanks for the quick respone Ilucian077,

The vac. advance is not connected at this time, and the ports are plugged.

If I reduce the advance the motor won't start, it just turns over.

sorry to be such a smuck but I am kind of lost on this problem.

406chevelle
Old 09-07-2004, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

Did you check that the balancer is correct? They can shift.

When I assembling my engine, I checked that the pointer pointed to 0o when the engine was at TDC. I used a straight edge and feeler gages to make sure TDC was TDC.

There is another problem. I can't put my finger on it, but maybe someone else on this board can read between the lines. Your engine shouldn't run better with 28o initial. The starter should kick back when you try to start it or it should ping as you accelerate.

Check that everything is right with the carb. Make sure your distributor's mechanical advance is working.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:33 PM
One of these days...soon

Last photo:

Ok I have got it running good at 12 deg. advanced at 1000rpm idle and the total timing is about 24 deg. advanced (mechanical, vac. advance is plugged), and I tried adjusting the mixture screws, it is still too rich and when I rev it up I can hear some popping in the exhaust, like a mello backfire.

I do need to change the thermostat it gets up to about 210 deg. I have a 180 thermostat in it, and hope a 160 will bring the temp down about 20 deg. Could running it this hot be part of my problem?

406chevelle
Old 09-08-2004, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

No, that is normal operating temp.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 406chevelle
Ok I have got it running good at 12 deg. advanced at 1000rpm idle and the total timing is about 24 deg. advanced (mechanical, vac. advance is plugged), and I tried adjusting the mixture screws, it is still too rich and when I rev it up I can hear some popping in the exhaust, like a mello backfire.

I do need to change the thermostat it gets up to about 210 deg. I have a 180 thermostat in it, and hope a 160 will bring the temp down about 20 deg. Could running it this hot be part of my problem?

406chevelle
210 is normal operating temp. on newer engines. I would run the engine you have at 180o.

Changing thermostats isn't going to bring the temp down necessarily. At 210o, the 180o and the 160o thermostats will both be open all of the way.

Your total timing should be at 34o to 36o.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

adjustments

It looks to me like your distributor has 12 degrees of advance in it. So you would set your total timing at 36 to 38 degrees to get a starting point. That would make you initial 24 to 26. It's ok to run it like that as long as you have the proper heat plugs and the correct octane fuel. I run mine locked at 36 degrees and never had any starting problems. You will need fresh spark plugs in it after every change. I know it cost alot of money throwing away plugs but if you have one glazed over you might fix the problem but not know it. Does this motor have a pvc valve??? If you get the timing set and install a fresh set of plugs and it is still rich. I would remove the carb and look at the transfer slots on the primary side. They should look like a square. If there is more then .025 exposed that is the reason it is running rich. Did you open the secondary side at all when you first installed the carb???? Is you speed demon a newer model with the idle ease option???? What plugs are you running in it now???

Oh yea as 77 stated take a few minutes and conferm that your balancer is marked correct for the timing points at TDC

Keith
Old 09-09-2004, 08:46 PM
One of these days...soon

Last photo:

Thanks for the help so far, it is badly needed.
I bought a speed demon because my research indicated that it would be the best performing carb for my motor, and I was fully a wear that it would be difficult to tune, but was willing to learn.

The balancer is good.
It is still at 12 deg. advanced.
I have just been adjusting the mixture screws.
I am now getting a backfire through the carb when I rev it, and still rich.

I guess I should have said something sooner…. I am use a summit A/F gauge and sensor to check lean or rich; I have one setup on each header.

I think everything is OK; it is just my lack of experience especially with carb adjustment. It is getting very frustrating.

I am thinking that maybe the secondary’s should be opened up a bit so more air will flow into the carb, but the only way I see to make that happen is to bend the linkage, I have read that it is sometimes necessary, but hate to bend things up.

406chevelle
Old 09-09-2004, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

Use a vacuum gauge to set your mixture.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

carb

On the demon carbs they have a screw to open the secondary just like the primary. It is on the passinger side of the carb at the secondary shaft.

Does your carb have the idle ease feature????? Look down the hole where the air cleaner stud goes. If there is a slotted head screw in there you have the idle ease... Let me know and i can help you adjust it.

I personally don't thing 12 degrees is enough initial timing for your set up. It should be a minimum a 18 degrees.

What are the numbers on the plugs you are running???

Keith
Old 09-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Rich Idle Condition

If you're only running 12 degrees initial timing on your combination, this is most likely causing a lot of your situation. Increasing your initial timing to 16 or 18 degrees should take care of most of your situation. Increasing the timing will allow the engine to burn the fuel better, so you can reset your mixture screws, and butterflies. This should eliminate the rich idle condition, and your hesitation problems.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.