Hot Rod Forum banner

need help on vortec heads

866 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  firestone 
#1 ·
I need to know how much i need to grind down the boss's on my vortec heads to handle a .550 lift setup. Im installeding .550 springs and roller rockers to handle the bigger cam but i need to know how much i need to grind down? thanks

#10 · (Edited)
Ebbsvette said:
k...u know how much i need to grind? cause the machinist needs the specs and such

If the machinist cant figure that out for himself whats he doin?:rolleyes:

You can easy figure it out yourself or tell him how.

Mock it up by installing a valve with seal you plan on running put the retainer on and measure the distance between bottom of retainer to the seal.
If youre going to use an all teflon seal measure the seal portion that is above valve guide when installed I think its .250 (havent done one for awhile) and subtract that from retainer to guide distance.

#11 ·
If you use a Z28 spring that is just about right for those heads with a cam with the lift you are using. That is what Scoggin Dickey uses in their heads made for a higher lift cam. The cam you are going to use is just about perfect for the vortec head. I had a Comp Cams xe268h cam in a 355 with Vortec heads and use the Z28 springs and it worked great. That cam has .477 .480 lift which is similar to what you have. As someone else said, scoggin dickey can give you alot of good information if you call them.

good luck,
Adam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.