Hot Rod Forum banner

Need Help w/ Clutch Chatter-2002 TA WS6

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Josey Wales 
#1 ·
I own a 2002 Trans Am w/ WS6. I'm at 27K miles. At 20K my clutch began to chatter noticeably. I brought it to the dealer and they said that they couldn't replace it under warranty because it was a wear item. Yet, I don't think "clutch linings" are my problem. My clutch does not slip. It does not smell burnt ever. And so you know, I drive easy on it. To me, it feels like the clutch plate is warped, or out of balance. My car runs more rough than it used to. And it feels like it's because of the clutch. I just think it's rediculous that the dealer is essentially saying that I will need to replace my clutch in this high performance car every 21K miles. Oh yeah, and they can do it for a cool $1100. Is it me, or does something seem very wrong here? I would like to point out that I had a rear main leak at about 4K miles. Yes.....4K miles! And the dealer kindly fixed that under warranty, then "test drove" it 90 miles. nice of them wasn't it??

If anyone can help me to better understand my clutch and the issue I am having, I would appreciate it. Also, I would like to know how long I can realistically expect a clutch to last under normal driving? Thanks.

The Outlaw

#2 ·
Oil contiamination of the clutch linings caused the chatter. It took a while, but that's really the No. one reason for the chatter. You have no other option then to replace the clutch and resurface the flywheel. The flywheel might be slightly warped or something is missing from the clutch, such as a finger or broken lining, throwing it out of balance. I hate the dealer myself.

About 75000 miles on average.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.