Need Help!! What Is The Best Bucket Seat For A 55 Chevy - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2006, 01:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

INTERESTING!

First off YES no 40, 50, or 60 year old car is going to be considered "Safe" by today's standards. Too many things have happened to automotive industry since any of these now "Old" cars were sold new.

Something that does seem forgotten here is the fact these "Old" cars have a lot more metal to them then your adverage run of the mill, reynolds wrap cars/trucks of today which are 90% PLASTIC!

Do we need more safety features on a plastic car? Well........ I'd have to vote "YES!"

(let's not even go to "these cars are dinosaurs. these land yaghts need to be scraped and none get as good as gas mileage as todays cars.") If you think I'm joking about this do your own comparison. A '57 Chevy is NOT as large as some of today's SUVs or duelly quad cab pickups. Do those get good gas mileage?

Okay back to the point. (now what was it?)
Seat belts in a Classic car.
You can buy new belts from several vendors these days and install them yourself. They do need mounted through the floor pan and some type of stiffening done at this spot like using a large flat washer on the underside of the floor pan.

I do know of a guy who put seats from a Cadillac in his '55 Chevy and they do have the shoulder belt incorporated in the seat. So no anchoring of the should belt is needed.

PS. sorry for hijacking the thread.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2006, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

The fact that pre1960's cars are all metal is of course their double edged sword...in some ways safer, unless you get your face smacked on the dash, then you will wish you were in a muscle era car w/padded dash & shoulderbelts. They are in some ways more crush resistant...50's ones anyway, Some would argue that it isn't a hotrod, if it's "that new" [& classic car is maybe the better term even if modified]true hotrods being preww2 cars w/exposed larger motors, swapped from different cars. To me, [my definition of a hotrod] it has to have 3 things; #1 vintage. must be premuscle car era...muscle cars are not hotrods...They infact ruined hotrodding. #2 must be modified. If you restore a old car to anywhere near stock, that is the opposite of making a hotrod. #3 Must be dangerous. I'm not joking. Thats why the image problem going back to the 50's. These cars are SUPPOSED to be unsafe. Hotrodding means removing so called safety equipment, not adding it.
If I wanted safety I'd go chat it up on the Volvo site.
So my I stand by my opinion...If you want seatbelts go buy a car made after 1960 [in GM'S case] but don't go and ruin a classic that can be beautiful restored to stock or modified into a hotrod.
I am now done w/this thread [and anyone putting seatbelts in anything that didn't originally come w/them] & won't respond to it again, even if Chip Carlson & Boyd Foose, both get on here & talk about how they like a benchseat so they can sit close togather & hold hands!
Old 07-15-2006, 10:09 PM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last journal entry: My new 55 chevy pretty sharp
Last photo:

hello again.....guys in my car the seat belt are mounted to the floor, reason being its got a set of racing buckets in it now.... what ever kind of seat i go with i can still use my floor mounted seat belts..... i just want a nice looking and comfy seat that will fit the car and not look hacked.... like i said before it would be nice find a seat that i wont have to do alot of modification's to get the right seat height/ that way they dont seat too low or 2 high u know..... i hate hacked up cars!!!!! really i should put a factory bench seat back in the car but like i said before my other car has a bench in it so i want to be different... thanks for the info
Old 06-06-2007, 01:40 PM

I agree the Sebring is a good choice..6 way power adjustable.
I put a newer set in my '97 Sebring this past weekend. As I was doing it
it occurred to me what a great mod for my 55 Chevy truck it would be...especially since the seat belts are built into the backrest.

Keith
Old 06-07-2007, 10:39 PM

Last journal entry: Csr Electric Water pump
Last photo:

There is no good bucket in a tri five should only have a bench unless its an all out drag car
Old 06-15-2007, 07:08 AM

I am using seats out of a 92 honda prelude for my 77 nova. these seats flip forward for back seaters and you would be able to get the buckets and the back seat to match. The only part of the seat belt that is on these seats is the buckle which is easily removed. since i have a 77 i plan to remove these and put my originals on. I didnt want to put honda seats in a chevy either but they were the color i want in like new shape and i got them for $100 for the pair. All it took to put them in is some fabricting and welding to make new floor mounts from the bench that was originally in there. I know honda isnt the best thing to put in a chevy but thay are very comfortable have some style and they wrap around your body nicely. This is probably not for every one but i am happy with my choice and thought i would give mt input.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

The Honda and Toyota seats are outstanding. It's your vehicle, put whatever seat in it you like. If you're happy with them, that's all that should matter.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:18 PM

If any of you are old enough to remember funerals from the 50's and 60's, many were due to being ejected from the car, usually a rollover or hitting something hard enough to go through the windsheild.

I will always find a way to get some kind of restraint to keep me in the car. Sure it could be on fire or roll into a lake and I might be out cold. These were the old agrguments for not wearing a seat belt.

My 56 post has basic belts bolted in, if the next owner wants them out, weld up the holes and carry on. My race cars have 5 point, probably should change to 6 point, would not go on the track without them. I've been lucky but have seen a few big wrecks from the driver's seat.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

The new Chevy Cavaliers.They are the best looking seat for a rod.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:59 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Here are my seats

Not in a 55 but they fit my butt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0432.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	27680  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:23 PM

Last photo:

I'm building a 55.5 Chevy truckrod for my son, and am planning to install a 4-point cage and seat belts for his protection in the event of a crash/rollover. Why are seat belts a bad idea...as mentioned in a few of the replies?

If they are NOT a bad idea, should I attach them to the seat? Or to the cage? Or???

Thanks in advance.

Antny
Old 02-07-2008, 11:00 AM

Last journal entry: Engine compartment
Last photo:

Bucket Seats

There are many good looking seats out there. Find something you like at a good price. In the cab of a truck you will be able to mount the shoulder/lap combination. In my 57 HT there is no post to mount to so I went with the late model Chevy extra cab with belts built in and they tilt forward to allow access to the rear seat.
Modern seat belts (Not lap belts) are a safety feature that can save your life. What could be a reason not to have them?
Jim
Old 04-18-2008, 01:08 PM

Last photo:

Do you want low backs or high backs? IMHO the high back seats look goofy when veiwing the car from behind. They stick way up into view. But that just me. I would say go with a low back seat out of a 65-66 mustang or a early dodge van seat. JMO Tim
Old 04-21-2008, 01:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

You guys dug up some ancient history with this thread - July 2006!!!! (But still relevant and interesting to those that are building a Tri-Five Chebbie) .

Dave W
Old 04-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Last photo:

Few things look as bad IMO than high back bucket seats in a 55-57 Chevy . Seat belts however are a must .

Vince

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.