need help with windsheild - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 06:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

need help with windsheild

I can not find anyone that knows how to install a windsheild in my 1952 buick super. Broke one already. I live in St.Catharines Ontario Canada. Anyone out there know of anybody??? need help before the snow flys....thax

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 07:30 PM

Last photo:

Is there a reason you can't take it to an auto glass shop? A friend of mine runs one and I don't think he'd have a problem doing it.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:57 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Maybe this link will help.
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...t/viewall.html
Old 09-26-2011, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

windshield

had 2 different shops come to my house...couldn't do it. One blamed the windshield other blamed the rubber.... Replaced both...still won't go in.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:22 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

glass install

First are the opening flanges in good shape.? I usually use a hammer and dolly and smooth up the spot weld areas. Are the lap joints smooth ? Do you need to grind off protrusions? In the factory they used to have heat lamps over the bins of rubber parts to soften them, The Mustang article referenced shows applying a lot of sealer before installation. If you are not experienced it can get messy. When they shut down the old Ford mustang assembly plant in Calif I got a few of the glass installation tools. You can work the nylon sash cord into the grove by hand. I have the factory tool. a screwdriver with a small ring welded to the end and hammered oval shaped. Thread the cord thru the needle eye then install it in about 10 seconds, Another usefull tool is a screwdriver modified by turning the shaft in a lathe, ending up with a 1/4 inch ball on the end and a 3 inch taper from the 1/4 inch shaft down to 1/8 just before the ball. It is bent L shaped with the ball about an inch from the bend, It is used to help pull the rubber inside the flange if the cord does not get it in easily. There were times when a welding clamp was not closed tight enough and the windshield opening was not to specification . They used to have a large grinding machine, a wet belt sander with guide rollers and resized the glass to fit. Usually a soap solution was used to lubricate the rubber. On trucks they used kerosene for lube.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

windshield

Everything on the body is as it should be. I have a small plastic stick I use to put in the cord. The problem seems to be I can't find anyone who knows how to do the buick. All I get is "they are a real ***** to work on" There has to be a trick to get it to fit. Maybe it has to be put in top first. Tried it and it was closer to getting in but not enough. I would really like to talk to someone that has done this type of car...I have tried it 7 times but no luck. Maybe the rubber is too big but steeles rubber says they have had no complaints about their rubbers. Starting to think I will have to cut a 1/4 in. from the top of the glass to make it fit. Some where someone has done a 52 buick super so any info would help.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:08 AM

Last photo:

Install the rubber on the pinch weld as is you had the glass in place.

Now insert paint stirring sticks at a few locations in the upper and lower portions of the gasket, directly opposing each other in pairs.

Make sure each stick is fully inserted, then make a reference mark on each stick at the gaskets edge.

Next measure the distance from mark to mark on each pair of sticks.

Remove sticks and add the additional insertion depth of each pair of sticks tothe measurement taken for that pair.

Now you have the maximum distance available for the glass sizing.

Measure you windshield, you should have at least a 1/16 smaller measurement on the glass at the corresponding stick measurement.

If this all checks out, then it is just a technique problem, Good Luck
Old 09-28-2011, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

windshield

This is a great idea. I was trying to measure the opening but couldn't get a good measurement. Great idea. Talked to one guy who has doing windshields for 40 years. He said the last old car he did was an old chev that had a similar set up. First time would not fit ..second time he sanded off 1/4 in. from the glass and it slid right in. Will try to measure this weekend. Think im going to end up shortening the glass.Thax again..
Old 09-30-2011, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

windshield

Checked all the measurements. 1/8 in.everywhere except where windshield wiper posts go through rubber. There i have nothing. Don't know if I should try and shave the rubber . Not very thick there at all. If I take off to much I will go through to the wiper holes. Hmmmmm. Any thoughts?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.