Need help wiring a chevy 305 small block?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 08:02 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need help wiring a chevy 305 small block??

Ok so I need to wire a 1986 305 small block. So from what I have seen the starter solenoid, the carburetor, the distributor coil go to 12volt when ignition key is turned to start right? Then also the starter and the alternator hook up to battery? So is that basically it or am I missing something in the wiring?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwr30
Ok so I need to wire a 1986 305 small block. So from what I have seen the starter solenoid, the carburetor, the distributor coil go to 12volt when ignition key is turned to start right? Then also the starter and the alternator hook up to battery? So is that basically it or am I missing something in the wiring?
What vehicle, is the computer being used?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:27 AM

Its in a nissan 240sx so im just trying to figure out the simplest way.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:57 AM
WFO

Last photo:

12V switched to the HEI

Battery cable from the battery to the starter solenoid

The "S" terminal of the starter solenoid through the neutral safety switch to the ignition switch

12V switched to the electric choke

Alternator depends on type, more- http://www.alternatorparts.com/FAQ.htm#how_to_wire

Grounds from battery to engine (often to the alternator bracket of a long water pump set-up) and to chassis/front end sheet metal, engine to frame and firewall.

Can't have too many grounds. Ground to bare metal and use good quality terminals and tooling. Use adaquate sized wiring throughout.

Depending on your particular wants and needs, you may want to use a 1 wire alternator, and/or a Ford-type solenoid.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:10 AM

When you say 12volt switched thats only 12volt when its switched to start position? So I think I got just bout everything except for the wiring of the starter where it goes to the neutral safety switch to the ignition switch? So am I going to be using 2 wires or 1 on wiring neutral safety switch to ignition switch for the starter?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
When you say 12volt switched thats only 12volt when its switched to start position?
You need 12V to the HEI in "Start" and "Run". For the choke, you need 12V in "Run". There are other ways to do this so the choke doesn't warm up until the engine is started, but unless you were to leave the key in "Run" w/o the engine actually running, this isn't necessary.

Quote:
So I think I got just bout everything except for the wiring of the starter where it goes to the neutral safety switch to the ignition switch? So am I going to be using 2 wires or 1 on wiring neutral safety switch to ignition switch for the starter?
Are you using a GM column w/the NS switch mounted to it? Some aftermarket shifters (if AT) will have the NS switch as part of the shifter.

Basically, if using the existing set-up from the Fiero, the purple wire will go down to the starter from the NS switch, the other side of the switch goes up to the ignition switch.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:23 AM

Ok so I get the neutral safety switch now thanks. With the HEI to 12volt start and run, also the starter and electric choke will get 12volts but on start and run also like the HEI? Or only on run when I turn the key?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Ok so I get the neutral safety switch now thanks. With the HEI to 12volt start and run, also the starter and electric choke will get 12volts but on start and run also like the HEI? Or only on run when I turn the key?
The starter gets power through the NS switch in "Start" only. The choke in "Run" only. The HEI in both "Start" and "Run".
Old 03-16-2011, 10:37 AM

Ok got it. You have been alot of help!!! because I have heard so many different ways to hook it up. But finally that sounds right lol.

Thanks Sean
Old 03-16-2011, 01:13 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Basically, if using the existing set-up from the Fiero, the purple wire will go down to the starter from the NS switch, the other side of the switch goes up to the ignition switch.
Don't ask me how I got "Fiero" out of "nissan 240sx". Sorry if that caused any confusion.

If the Nissan uses a similar switch, you can use it. Or if you have an aftermarket shifter it may have the switch. Or you can even use a simple relay set-up to get 'er done.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.