Need Hood Clearance - Intake ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2005, 06:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need Hood Clearance - Intake ?

I have a 396 BBC in a street/strip 68 chevelle with a Holley Strip Dominator Intake and a 3" air cleaner which is approx 1 - 1.5" too tall to fit the hood on. I was looking at the Edel Torker II intake which I believe would allow me to install my stock hood but have read some dissatisfied remarks regarding its performance. I would try just about any intake shorter than my current if it won't kill my performance. Here's the rest of my combo:

396ci bored to 408ci
above intake
750 Mighty Demon
Rectangular port GM iron heads (probably too much but they're paid for)
248/254 @ 0.050 solid roller cam
9.2:1 c/r
4:10 gear
3600 stall

It runs 12.3 @ 110 shifting at 7k rpm. The Torker II is supposed to have a 2500 - 6500 rpm powerband which may be a little low for this combination. Also a oval port version is only available which I believe will work fine with rect port heads. My bottom end suffers with the current intake and I would hope the Torker II would improve that some with the oval port runners. Any input concerning this intake or suggestions are appreciated. Is the Torker II intake intended for drag racing, street use, or what application?

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 08:16 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

air cleaner

Try a drop dish aircleaner.
If that doesn't work.
Try a semi drop with a 2" element.

I used a torker 2 before.
They work best with an annular discharge carb.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:03 PM

I already have a drop dish cleaner with 3" filter though I'm not sure the difference between a drop and a semi drop. I'm not fond of putting a filter smaller than 3" for air flow reasons. How did the torker 2 work for you? Do you have any other intakes you tried as well to compare against? I just read an article comparing an annular discharge vs dogleg discharge carb on a big cam engine and the annular won with significant improvements in the low rpm range. Did you try both style carbs on the Torker II? My current carb is 750 Mighty Demon with the dogleg style boosters and judging from the article and my cam size I might benefit from the annular discharge.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Don't get the Torker II. It is a lower performance intake than the RPM. The dual plane design of the RPM is far superior.

Look at Holley's website. They show the series in order of performance. It goes:
Performer
Torker
Performer RPM
Victor Jr.
Victor

Don't let the 2,500 RPM starting point of the Torker II fool you. It doesn't make more top end power than the RPM. It makes less.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68chevelle_ss
I have a 396 BBC in a street/strip 68 chevelle with a Holley Strip Dominator Intake and a 3" air cleaner which is approx 1 - 1.5" too tall to fit the hood on. I was looking at the Edel Torker II intake which I believe would allow me to install my stock hood but have read some dissatisfied remarks regarding its performance. I would try just about any intake shorter than my current if it won't kill my performance. Here's the rest of my combo:

396ci bored to 408ci
above intake
750 Mighty Demon
Rectangular port GM iron heads (probably too much but they're paid for)
248/254 @ 0.050 solid roller cam
9.2:1 c/r
4:10 gear
3600 stall

It runs 12.3 @ 110 shifting at 7k rpm. The Torker II is supposed to have a 2500 - 6500 rpm powerband which may be a little low for this combination. Also a oval port version is only available which I believe will work fine with rect port heads. My bottom end suffers with the current intake and I would hope the Torker II would improve that some with the oval port runners. Any input concerning this intake or suggestions are appreciated. Is the Torker II intake intended for drag racing, street use, or what application?

Thanks.
I have a BBC502 in my 65 Vette. The Vette has a 66 BB hood .I only have 2" to the top of the underside of the hood from the Holley 850 top flange.

Try using the 65-72 L88 Motor Drop Base Air cleaner. The clearance from the carb flange to the top of the Air filter (3") is 1 1/4" .. That's with the drop base on the carb. Now you have to add the air cleaner top and that will give you the final measurment. But it should be under 2"..!!

Here's a link to the extream drop base.....

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...HL8KXL9CD5D2MD

Old 06-30-2005, 07:12 PM

Thanks Viet Nam Vette. Does the L88 base have the connection for the vacuum line like the picture on the site shows? I won't be using that so I'd like to get one without it. 2" from top of carb flange might actually fit. Thanks for the info and link!
Old 06-30-2005, 08:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68chevelle_ss
Thanks Viet Nam Vette. Does the L88 base have the connection for the vacuum line like the picture on the site shows? I won't be using that so I'd like to get one without it. 2" from top of carb flange might actually fit. Thanks for the info and link!
I would check with them directly. There is a large tube that is at a 90* angle coming out of the base on the passenger side rear. Not sure how the original L-88 Monster used that connection.

Maybe some one here can shed some light on the hose connections on that set up.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.