Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need a horsepower estimate please
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 04:07 AM

Last journal entry: Garrell's rides
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need horsepower estimate

ap72 thanks to you and everyone that offered opinions so far. I know engines and there buildup fairly good and I felt like my 340 hp estimate was reasonably close but I had rather have opinions from the experts out there.
The truck is always kept in good tune. It has a HEI ignition with I forget the size of the sparkplug wires but they are the heaviest offered I think and we have looms attached under the edge of the valve covers and there are no wires laying across the headers. The carb on the truck is the best I have ever been around it hasn't been adjusted since the day I put it on. It has an electronic choke which never has to be set. It can set for five weeks and you depress the accelarator a half inch and you never hear the motor turn over it as if it explodes to life. Once it is cranked it cranks all day long day after day without touching the accelarator. The truck never falters or boggs down, I don't know what the readline should be, a safe number would be 5,000 rpms with a max of maybe 6,000 if I had reason to take it that far.
As far as an et I don't know what he rear gear ratio is I don't think higher than 3:53 or lower than 3:73 as I stated in an earlier post. I know the hp to weight ratio is really good but I figured maybe low 13's or high 12's.
I would still like opinions from any of you or suggestions to make the hotrod better, you can't believe how little I have in the entire rig to wind up being a pretty good high performance ride. Sometime I will tell you about the local big car show a few weeks ago and the five over $100,000.00 that debuted at it!

Garrell