Hot Rod Forum banner

Need Hp Rating

2K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  s10mannn 
#1 ·
1990 s10 with 1988 355 bored 0.30 over edelbrock performer rpm intake manifold edelbrock 650 carb comp cams 470 intk 470 exhst 10 bolt 373 hyper pistons 9.3-1 compression full roller rocker arms. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH HP ILL BE PUSHING?

#12 ·
OP, this question gets asked time and time again. The real answer is "Who cares?" How fast is your vehicle? What does it do in the quarter? Is there a HP level you must have to do a certain chore around the house?

If you really want to know how much power it makes, dyno it! Race it! Other than that, you're just guessing at a number to throw around at the next bench racing session at the local drive-in.

#13 ·
cool rockin daddy said:
OP, this question gets asked time and time again. The real answer is "Who cares?" How fast is your vehicle? What does it do in the quarter? Is there a HP level you must have to do a certain chore around the house?

If you really want to know how much power it makes, dyno it! Race it! Other than that, you're just guessing at a number to throw around at the next bench racing session at the local drive-in.

im asking because im spending about 3,000 on this i only 2,000 right now and im curious. i dont want to wait 2-3 months to dyno it. im 17 years old i dont yet know everything nor make bank to build it in one week and find out next week

#15 ·
s10mannn said:
1990 s10 with 1988 355 bored 0.30 over edelbrock performer rpm intake manifold edelbrock 650 carb comp cams 470 intk 470 exhst 10 bolt 373 hyper pistons 9.3-1 compression full roller rocker arms. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH HP ILL BE PUSHING?
I think I can come pretty close, I have dynoed 3 cars in last two months and one time there was a guy there just before me that had a 79 Camaro and he was saying he had about the same set up as you are saying but if I recall his cam was a hair bigger and it did have a little lope to it. but he called it a 383, not a 355- I have no clue the difference.
He ended up at about 245-255 HP, so would assume about a 300 net going through a 5 speed.
He just knew it was going to be 450-500 hp and was pretty pissed, his mistake was listening to his friends guessing HP.

#17 ·
BarryK said:
I think I can come pretty close, I have dynoed 3 cars in last two months and one time there was a guy there just before me that had a 79 Camaro and he was saying he had about the same set up as you are saying but if I recall his cam was a hair bigger and it did have a little lope to it. but he called it a 383, not a 355- I have no clue the difference.
He ended up at about 245-255 HP, so would assume about a 300 net going through a 5 speed.
He just knew it was going to be 450-500 hp and was pretty pissed, his mistake was listening to his friends guessing HP.
his motor is totally different, sure its a sbc but not even in the same year range. anything below i want to say 87 ? will be different from mine

#20 ·
s10mannn said:
and a 383 and 355 have the same bore which is .30 over ...
I love it when a total noob comes here and lectures the people who are attempting to lend a hand.

Do yourself a favor and shut up and listen. Once you've been doing this for a year- or forty- THEN you get do some lecturing. Maybe.

BTW, you are TOTALLY wrong in your statement I quoted above.

#22 ·
cobalt327 said:
I love it when a total noob comes here and lectures the people who are attempting to lend a hand.

Do yourself a favor and shut up and listen. Once you've been doing this for a year- or forty- THEN you get do some lecturing. Maybe.

BTW, you are TOTALLY wrong in your statement I quoted above.

383 uses the 400 crank and yes there is 383 that are bored and some are 383 that are not bored

#24 ·
BarryK said:
and that wouldnt be possible for me considering my engine is 210-220 hoss power stock

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.