Hot Rod Forum banner

Need to ID a GM TBI Engine

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  54Sled 
#1 ·
I recently acquired a TBI 350 and 700r4 setup. I am trying to figure exactly what it came out of. The guy I got it from had no clue. So I cleaned up some of the motor and the block # is 14093638 (86-94 Block). Once I had that I cleaned up the front of the block's pad on the passenger side and came up with V0205TDF, I understand the date part of it, but when I go to pull up the suffix "TDF" all I come up with is 1980 SBC, which I know it isn't. ?? So this is where I need help. The block is a 2 block main, heads #1410293 (swirl port). Any help would be great.

Ideally I would like to do a basic rebuild as a the car it will be going in is more of a cruiser, however I want switch to a carb set up and possible look at putting a mild roller cam in it as well to give it some "umph".

#2 ·
Double ck that head #.I"m pretty sure the last 3 #'s are 193 vs 293.Sounds like you have an L05 TBI truck engine.Since you say it has a 700R4,it is most likely a 92 or older since 93 was the 1st year trucks got the 4L60E.It should be a roller block although it will be equipped w/ a flat tappet cam.You will need the cam retainer plate,the spider retainer,dog bones & lifters to convert to a roller.It was rated @ 210 HP as equipped in the truck with TBI.The heads are not the best,but,make good torque in the lower rpm range.I've also heard they don't work real well in a carb setup.

#3 ·
Can't make sense of a TDF code on a 14093638 casting, a GMC or Chevy dealer should be able to tell you.

This casting supports 2 or 4 bolt mains and is provisioned for a roller cam though if it came from a truck it more likely than not has a flat tappet. But the same engine did appear in some cars with a roller cam. The heads are 14102193 not 1410293, it looks like a 1 is missing. These are the much cursed Swirl Port heads. The cam will be a very mild 165 to 175 degree thing that is pretty useless for anything beyond minimizing lobe and lifter wear.

Have you opened the bottom to verify the main bolt count? With a 193 head I'd expect a 2 bolt but GM is inconsistent about this. This is actually a decent casting as modern engines go.

Having the provisions for a roller cam can be the bosses are cast but not machined, the bosses are drilled but not tapped, or with a kit if it doesn't already have a roller you can bolt a roller in.

Heads and pistons are far from performance items, if you're going to rebuild these need to be replaced. Modern heads of the fast burning design, the L31 Vortec being a common but not exclusive choice. The piston choice will establish the compression ratio which needs to be adjusted to the head selection both for combustion chamber volume and cam's intake closing point.

Obviously the internal condition of the block and crank, and your budget will determine what if anything goes back in.

Bogie

#5 ·
Thanks for the info gents. Down the road I want to put this set up in my 54 Chevy Belair. I'm currently running the inline 6, which runs pretty darn good for being 60 years old. However, when the time comes for it to be laid to rest I'm settling with a V8 swap instead of a rebuild.

Based on the information i've read and been provided so far, with the 350 I have. I think I may just finish breaking the block down, have it checked out and do a basic rebuild. Add an intake/carb/hei and fuel pump and call it a day. I think I'm finding out that if I start putting money into heads, cam, machine work and such. I might as well just go buy a crate motor. :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.